In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Rebarrel 1903-A3 ?

2-blade2-blade Member Posts: 46 ✭✭
edited September 2008 in Ask the Experts
I just picked up a 1903-A3 sporter cheep that needs a new barrel,can anyone tell me if a remington shank is large enough to clean up to fit it to the A3 action.Or do I need to go to a new barrel,If I go to a new barrel is a 6.5/284 a viable chambering,they seem to feed smoothly with out any work on the feed rails. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,370 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am not a gunsmith, but I have a book:

Remington shank is 1.050" with 16 V threads per inch.
    Springfield shank is 1.040" with 10 square threads per inch.

Doesn't look like it would clean up.
  • Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    Contact "NONONSENSE" Moderator of Ask the Experts...He'll more than likly have the answer you seek.....
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    2-blade,

I was stuck trying to solve another problem before I tried to figure out an easy way to explain this.

It's easy for someone that does machining but if you aren't experienced, this might not make good sense.

The Springfield shank measures 1.040" as Hawk Carse points out. It is a 10 Square thread which means that the threads are approximately 0.050" deep by 0.050" wide.

The Remington shank though needs a little correction from the text noted. It should measure about 1.062" with 16 TPI 'V' thread. These threads are approximately .040" deep per side.

Now, you can turn down the outside of the Remington tenon to measure 1.040" but the new diameter will not clean up the original threads on the outside. In addition, the Springfield tenon needs a cone breech cut into it along with an extractor groove. This will be compromised by the bolt nose bore that exists in the Remington barrel tenon.

There should be Springfield barrels available from some of the established surplus suppliers or you can have one of the barrel makers fit a barrel for you.

ADDED:

I thought it would help to give an example of sorts. I didn't have a Springfield barrel handy:

[img]http://usera.ImageCave.com/65256264/Thread tenons_Remington_Winchester2.bmp.jpg[/img]

The barrel on the left is a Remington tenon.

The barrel on the right is Winchester M70 Pre-'64 but it has the cone breech and extractor groove.

Best.
  • Options
    2-blade2-blade Member Posts: 46 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info.There are some origenal-new in the cosmoline barrels on GB. but i'm not A 3006 fan and before I pay $125.00 to $190.00 for a origenal barrel I will put a new one of my cal. choice on it. Thanks much. Mike
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only choice you have then is to have a new barrel made. If you are a machinist, you can thread it and fit it. Otherwise, you will have to have someone do it for you.