In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

30-338 mag

QuagarQuagar Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
edited September 2008 in Ask the Experts
Any one familiar with rebarreling a 1917 enfield 30-06 to this caliber as far as the action being suitable for that load etc.
Thanks
I know the deal with brass etc just want comments on action

Comments

• Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    This was a common conversion, back in the day. If I were going to do it today, I would make it a regular 300 Win Mag., as it is the same class/length of case. Just beware it is not as simple as a rebarrel. The bolt face will need to be opened up, and extractor,and follower will need to be worked also.

Best.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,981 ******
    edited November -1
    "If I were going to do it today, I would make it a regular 300 Win Mag., "............+1, ammo/brass/dies are much cheaper, same mods. to the action as the .30/338
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,498 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    I went to high school with a guy that had one chambered in 300 Weatherby so it should hold up just fine for what you want to do.
  • Options
    catpealer111catpealer111 Member Posts: 10,695
    edited November -1
    My grandfather use to have a Springfield 1903 that he converted to 30-338. He took plenty of moose back in the day with that rifle. I'm assuming that he used a 1903A3 action.