In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Steel shot

reddnekreddnek Member Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2008 in Ask the Experts
I have a Western Field 12 gauge pump chambered for 3" magnum is it safe to use steel shot in it??? A visit to the local walMart found only steel in the larger shot sizes.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    does it hurt to shot steel shot in bbl that are not made for it and what kind of damage does it do.
    thanks
    taz
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hi, Anyone have reloading data useing Unique or Red Dot, with Winchester once fired hulls,Winchester wads, #6 STEEL shot. HAve a lot of powder I would like to use. Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a box of #2 and #3 steel shot shells. Are they about right for duck hunting?

I now have a place on an island (Harsens) in the worlds largest fresh water delta in the world. While working on the cottage last year, there was shooting all day long. It's worth a try but will have to buy some decoys and accessories. Plan on trying in flooded cornfields in a DNR managed area.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I just bought a Benelli Nova 3-1/2" 12 ga. and I'd like to know if I can shoot steel shot in it. The chokes say no steel shot but can I buy a choke for steel shot and use it in that gun without screwing up the gun?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Will steel shot damage the bore of older shotguns (50s and 60s vintage)

PHP
  • Options
    edited November -1
    This may be a stupid question, yet I still do not know the answer. I am getting an old side by side 10 gauge that was made probably sometime in the 70's. Can I shoot steel shot out of it or not??? I know whenever I bought my 12 gauge brand new it said in the manual that it COULD shoot steel shot, like that was some extra feature.....I was just wondering if an older gun like that could shoot it......sorry i don't know too much about shotguns......also what about tungsten??? is that harder than steel??? Thanks for the help
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Can you tell me if my remington sp-10 and browning bps 10 ga are capable of handling steel shot,or where I can find out myself.T hanks Gordon.
  • Options
    golferboy426golferboy426 Member Posts: 969 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As long as it is not full choke , no problem, Full MAY lightly buldge barrel. Many studies have been done and it is still controversial. You will likely encounter inside bore scratches from the harder steel shot against the solfer barrel.
  • Options
    BigKev72BigKev72 Member Posts: 37 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wont hurt it much unless its full choke as said. Drive past wal-mart to a proper gunshop though and they will stock larger shot sizes in lead! Wal-mart, the death of the small business!!!!
  • Options
    dppatroldppatrol Member Posts: 173 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    its very pricey,but hevi shot works great,i use it exclusively.remington has the same product they call it hd.i buy a box every week or so in the off season and stock up that way.i've seen it up to t loads in size.i believe its perfectly safe for full chokes,as its softer than steel.