In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

NORINCO 97

bandit0369bandit0369 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited September 2008 in Ask the Experts
I was given an immaculate Norinco 97 replica of a WInchester M97. I have heard all the hoopla about it being CHI COM crap. This isn't a basic replica, this is a Marine Corps commemorative. Engraving on the left side of the chamber that says "In honor of the US Marine Corps" with the EGA in the center, and another engraving on the left side of the barrel base that says "semper fidelis" in a banner. On the stock is an engraving of "USMC" with a banner underneath it with the Marine Corps birthday in it, surround by laurels. The serial number on the trigger guard is USMC0007. I was given this by a deceased Marines family, as he wanted it to go to an active duty Marine. I have no intention of selling this, but I am trying to find out what I have, information about it, and it's value. If anyone can help, please email me at albert.hayes@usmc.mil

Comments

• Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bandit0369
    I was given an immaculate Norinco 97 replica of a WInchester M97. I have heard all the hoopla about it being CHI COM crap. This isn't a basic replica, this is a Marine Corps commemorative. Engraving on the left side of the chamber that says "In honor of the US Marine Corps" with the EGA in the center, and another engraving on the left side of the barrel base that says "semper fidelis" in a banner. On the stock is an engraving of "USMC" with a banner underneath it with the Marine Corps birthday in it, surround by laurels. The serial number on the trigger guard is USMC0007. I was given this by a deceased Marines family, as he wanted it to go to an active duty Marine. I have no intention of selling this, but I am trying to find out what I have, information about it, and it's value. If anyone can help, please email me at albert.hayes@usmc.mil

It may be a standard Norinco made into a commemorative after being imported. The triggerguard number may and may not be the SerNo. It [the SerNo] has to be on the receiver somewhere (if you can't find it, look on the front face of the receiver-very hard to spot). There will be something like "MIL1234" there. The "1234" is the last set of numbers. For the complete SerNo you have to look under the barrel just in front of the receiver (very faint stamping-involves magazine tube removal to see the numbers). I'm leading up to something (your concern over quality-item in blue above)..

..if the first two numbers of the complete SerNo-under the barrel are "06" (or higher) you have a Norinco that has the earlier "user complaints" eliminated. The first two numbers on the barrel represent model upgrades (01,02,03, etc)..the abbreviated SerNo on the front face of the receiver is sufficient when filling out paperwork on the gun. Best, Joe

EDIT:
    Your Norinco is worth market value of a plain M97 clone. Commemoratives such as yours won't command much of a premium over the standard M97. If you need a number, either side of $450-500 (and I'm being generous with the numbers). Again best, Joe