In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1860 colt army.

dane62dane62 Member Posts: 210 ✭✭✭
edited January 2012 in Ask the Experts
looking for a little info on an old colt 1860 army, civilian model.serial #95563.a couple of things on the gun are different than on others i have seen.first it is nickel plated,second is the letter"s" stamped on cylinder above the serial number.the gun is percussion, it has not been converted.has anyone seen a "s" marked gun? i just listed it on auction side.#271013492. take a look and please tell me what you think of gun.

Comments

• Options
    JohnnyBGoodJohnnyBGood Member Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know about the "S" marking, but the nickel plating is probably a refinish. Your revolver was made in 1863, and Colt did not offer nickel until (approximately) 1869.

Johnny
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks,i forgot to mention the trigger guard and backstrap are also nickeled over the brass, i figured it probably was done later.it is a real sharp looking gun. the numbers all match,cylinder engraving is nice.nickel is flaking a little on left side of barrel and in one spot on cylinder, probably layed in a case and got damp. the bore looks hardly used and the mechanics are crisp. seeing as how i have described it, i might as well say. i'm going to list it on the auction side.
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    It's easier if you post the link: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=271013492

It's possible it was a special order for an officer but you really need to get a Colt factory letter to determine that. Otherwise, it's going to be wide open for scrutiny and, for that price, you're going to own it for a long time.

Here's the link for a Colt letter: http://www.coltsmfg.com/CustomerServices/ArchiveServices.aspx
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ya,i am probably just fishing with a bare hook with that price, but i am trying to figure out, what is it worth?
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dane62
    ya,i am probably just fishing with a bare hook with that price, but i am trying to figure out, what is it worth?

As Spider noted a Colt factory letter would be a first step in setting a realistic price. If the nickel letters as being factory, you would be in high cotton. If not, it's just a refinished Colt percussion in VG condition. It would be valued accordingly.

Being that it appears to be in VG condition. Without have been buffed prior to plating, it might be a candidate for professional restoration. This would increase it's auction value, over and above it's value as a refinished commercial 1860 Army.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks for the info. what is a fair value on this gun?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks for the info. what is a fair value on this gun?

It's got nice markings and cartouches and is definitely Civil War issue. Without Colt documentation of factory plating, probably in the $2,300-$2,800 range. However, depending on the Colt letter, you could have a real prize so it's worth investing in it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks for the help
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks for the help

If it letters as factory plating, please come back and update us. Good luck!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    it would be nice to get a letter. i don't hink colt will do an info sheet like cody musuem does for winchesters. looks like $300 for a letter. is it likely colt nickeled over the brass trigger guard?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    it would be nice to get a letter. i don't hink colt will do an info sheet like cody musuem does for winchesters. looks like $300 for a letter. is it likely colt nickeled over the brass trigger guard?

The trigger guard would be brass but the backstrap is steel.

A factory letter would be similar to this:

pix154311476.jpg

NOTE: If this thread gets locked due to 10 responses, you can start a new one and refer to this one.