In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ruger 10/22 Magnum

terrygbrterrygbr Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
edited January 2012 in Ask the Experts
i was wondering why the ruger 10/22 magnum was discontinued. is it a nice gun? will ruger start selling this gun again?
thanks

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Does anyone have any recent news about the Ruger 10/22 Magnum? I noticed a topic in my Google search dated Feb/2007 that Ruger had discontinued this particular version of the 10/22. I have a 10/22 in .22LR but I was wondering about the .22 Mag. I found nothing recent and nothing on Ruger's website. [:(] [?][V]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Im looking at a ruger 10/22 magnum. I like the way it looks, but is it a mechanicly good operating rifle? Thanks for any input[8D]
  • Options
    redhawkk480redhawkk480 Member Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    correct its been discontinued,for long time now , if you find one expect to pay premium price for it
  • Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,185 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When items are discontinued it raises red flags/questions to me, such as whats the problem ?? ugly design, little market/desireability, mechanical/reliability problems, etc. You can bet there was a reason, companies don't drop successful products but for some reason there's people who think those items are gold, go figure.

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Junkballer
    When items are discontinued it raises red flags/questions to me, such as whats the problem ?? ugly design, little market/desireability, mechanical/reliability problems, etc. You can bet there was a reason, companies don't drop successful products but for some reason there's people who think those items are gold, go figure.

The reason the 10/22 Magnum was dropped, is that id did not meet the bean counter's expectations. Part of it was that Remington had a piece of junk out before that, and the shooting public had determined that unless it was a volquartsen, it woldn't work. Ther Ruger didn't sell good, untill ruger discontinued it...then the prices went thru the roof.

Your theory of quote: When items are discontinued it raises red flags/questions to me Doesn't ring true with Remington. There are several pieces of falling apart junk they still market.

Best
  • Options
    tangaratangara Member Posts: 133 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was at a gun auction last weekend. They had a 10/22MAG in excellent condition with box it sold for $875. What price were these going for when available?
  • Options
    deerhntrdeerhntr Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That gun is on my want list for sure but they are going VERY high in the $675-850 range depending on condition. Had a very estabilished gun dealer tell me that a few guns were getting cracked receivers and that was in part of the reason they were discontinued also they were very expensive to produce and they were not able to kick em out cheap and mark em up high like the others.
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    They wer'nt much more than a 1022 when they were making them.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cartod
    They wer'nt much more than a 1022 when they were making them.

Price wise, no they were not much more...like $425.00 or so. But they were a lot more rifle. Steel reciever, vs aluminum.

quote:Had a very estabilished gun dealer tell me that a few guns were getting cracked receivers

I don't believe that to be true. Ruger done their homework on this model, and aside of not having a "target model", these were every bit as good as the Volquartsen reciever.

Best
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    They are easily converted to a .17 caliber. [8D]
  • Options
    heavyironheavyiron Member Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi,

I bought my Ruger 10/22 Magnum about 2005 for a cost of $250.00 new in the box. The rifle was hard to come by at that time. I was lucky and called a gun store owner inquiring about a 10/22 magnum at the same time he received one and I bought it 30 minutes later.

My opinion was the Ruger 10/22 was fine well made rifle. The receiver was made of steel and I never heard of read of one single rifle with a cracked or damaged receiver. It was a safe package of cartridge and rifle.

My belief is the rifle was discontinued because it could readily be converted into 17 HRM by swapping barrels. I believe this made the rifle marginally unsafe. When enough after-market 17 HRM barrels became available, there were reports of feeding and extraction problems with the donor rifles, i.e., the Ruger 10/22 Magnum. There were also reports that due to the higher pressure of the 17 HRM, the breach of the rifle would open prematurely while pressure was too high. Since this rifle was of blow-back design, I think this was probably quite possible, especially since the recoil and hammer springs could be had in a variety of different weights.

My humble opinion is that once the genie was out of the bottle (a variety of easily obtainable 17 HRM barrels became available to convert the Ruger 10/22 Magnum) Ruger realized their 10/22 Magnum would be unsafe for this conversion. Not wanting the product liability, Ruger discontinued their 10/22 magnum rifle. Ruger knows what the potential problems may be, but they sure aren't going to discuss it and introduce themselves to a lawsuit. I also know some custom barrel makers quit making the 17 HRM barrel for Ruger 10/22 magnums conversions about the time. One barrel maker stated he quit making the barrels because the conversion was inherently unsafe.

When the 17 HRM fist came out all the rifle manufacturers were scrambling to make new rifles or converting existing models to this new caliber, such was the craze and their profits. Ruger, for a short period, even produced their own 17 HRM rifle based on the 10/22 magnum receiver. This is the time when I believe they discovered it was not a good combination and potentially unsafe. Conversions based on their bolt action rifles were fine, because the breach would not open on its own under pressure, but the 10/22 Magnum held that possibility. I believe this was one of the reasons the Ruger 10/22 Magnum was discontinued.

I still own my Ruger 10/22 Magnum and I like it. I have the box, the lock, and owners manual plus a custom made 17 HRM barrel and think I will hang on to it for some time.

Best,

Heavyiron
  • Options
    soopsoop Member Posts: 4,633
    edited November -1
    Mine was a jam-o-matic.