In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ak front site, major adjustment

grayingghostgrayingghost Member Posts: 131 ✭✭
edited January 2012 in Ask the Experts
I went back a few pages in search and didn't find this, tho it probably came up. Just bought a Century Arms AKMS underfolder, good looker, works great, shoots 2" groups. But-I had to adjust the front site post way over to the left! I measured 11.8mm acc. widest part of site ears and this post is now 6.5mm from right ear, a good bit off center. Heard about canted sites etc., had retired gunsmith ck it over, he says every thing is straight and balanced weapon upsidedown on top of rear site and front ears and everything contacted equally. Just annoys me to look at but doesn't affect sight picture. Is this within normal or is something definately wrong?

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you got a underfolder AK, put together by Century, that capable of shooting 2" groups, consider yourself fortunate. Don't worry about it, and don't screw with the sights.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "True" AK shooters (by which I mean the poor third world conscripts that usually use them) don't even zero their sights.

Why? Because they're not even trying to shoot precisely anyway.

Anyway, as Rufe said if your gun shoots on target and is keeping small groups, you should be quite pleased, even if the sights seem off center a bit.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The military 7.62 AKs I've seen had sights pretty much centered.
    Commercial 5.56 AKs and Saigas I've seen were sloppy in that department.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Like has been said...this rifle was not put together in a third world country, it was assembled by Century. A lot of their builds, along with HESSE, BLACKTHORNE, and VULCAN, come thru with improperly installed front sights. This means they are not square with the rest of the rifle, but canted. It's hard to screw up an AK build, but these folks have seemed to master screwing them up.

Like also has been said...you are getting that kind of on target accuracy...don't mess with it.

Best
  • Options
    DRP-AZDRP-AZ Member Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    heh. This thread is funny.

Laser boresighter. Adjust front sight base to where they line up with the front sight centered in the sight wings.

Solved. How the sight wings line up when the rifle is upside is pretty irrelevant. How "straight" the sights look when you look down the sight plane is irrelevant.

Only hits count.