In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

SAKO rifle experts ?????

4406v4406v Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
edited January 2012 in Ask the Experts
I am looking to buy a Sako rifle for big game hunting.I don't know which model would be best and why.I have looked at the new model 85's and the actions are smooth.But the older models I have looked at are LR61,AIII,AV there are also "Bofors Steel" barreled guns which seem to be popular amongst collectors.What are the advantages of the different actions and styles of Sako rifles.

Just wanted a few opinions by those of you "in the know" What would you recommend???

Any help would be appreciated Thanks

Comments

• Options
    jptatumjptatum Member Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You will not go wrong on any of the models, old or new although I do not own a 85 or 75.
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    What kind of big game are you hunting? I have a realy nice AV in 375 H&H that I've had listed on the auction side befor, if your interested I'll list it again. It's blue with wood and in very good condition.
    W.D.
  • Options
    4406v4406v Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am partial to 7mm Remington Mag. I have been shooting one for 25 years and have taken alot of deer,a bear,a moose,and an elk with it.The old 700 is tired,the stock is cracked,the scope outdated.It's time for a new rifle.I've wanted a Sako for a long time and now I can justify buying one since my old gun is well used.

I know there are guys out there with alot more experience than I will ever have with Sako's and figured here was a great place to ask for advice.

375 H&H is a little stout for my normal 150# whitetails!!!!
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    JP has it right; any of the Sako's you mentionned would be excellent choices. My bias is to the older models; Finnbear, etc. Handle as many as you can and shoot some if possible. Stock changes, especially with the big bores, would be significant factors for me. (My Finnbear .338 was more comfortable for me to shoot than a Remington 700 in 30-06 just because the stock fit was better for me.)
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    I'm no expert by any means, but I own 3 Sako rifles, and all of them have that silky smooth bolt movement.
    The one I like to shoot at larger stuff is a TRG-S; a civilian-type remake of the TRG series of special purpose rifles in 300WinMag. It comes with dual dovetails, a nice synthetic stock, detachable mag, butter-smooth action, and weighs in at around 7 pounds. It is in the Long action style receiver.
    Another I shoot alot is the Vixen; a wood stocked, lightweight (around 5.5 pounds) Short action model in .308. I like to think that if I can't afford to reload the .300; I can put a few .308s together and shoot them instead. Same smooth action, and an easily learned trigger break.
    The one I don't shoot a lot is the Finnwolf/Finnbear that a gunsmith friend built for me in 6.5X55; I don't reload that specific caliber, and when I'm done with the 3 boxes that came with it, it'll be a safe queen. The wood's too nice to drag across country banging away at antelope or deer, so I likely will stop shooting it sometime next year.
    You can't go wrong with a Sako, unless you wanted something else to begin with.[:D]

That's why it's a Finnbear/Finnwolf; he built it with the bolt receiver (63 I think), and the lever barrel and forearm. Very nice fit/finish and beautiful wood.
    The Vixen is stone stock and in .308; never owned a Forester, but I can learn to love another Sako!
    I think the M995 receiver is on the TRG-S as well-I'd have to dig it out to see.
    Just looked at all 3 again, and the M995 IS the TRG-s, and looks alot like the one below. Just need to add a Leupold VXII 3-9, a leather sling and a bipod.
    The 63 receiver I got wrong (that's the lever action one, not the bolt), but the Vixen and all other info is correct. I looked out of curiosity at the Forester, and don't think I want one of those; especially at those prices!
    Wondering why all Vixens listed here and elsewhere are in either 222 mag or some Swedish caliber? Possible they're pre-Garcia?
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gunnut,
    Help me out here. I thought the .308 was on the Forester action, not the Vixen, no? And the Finnwolf was the lever action, I believe, where the Finnbear was the long bolt. Not trying to be a smart *, just like to keep the basic information straight for all of us.
    [:D]
  • Options
    FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a SAKO M995 in .300 WM, 23.5" barrel, 1:11 twist

P8220205-1-1.jpg

3-2.jpg
    200gr NAB, 71.5gr H4831SC, CCI250 at 100 yards.

Bolt/action is strong yet very smooth. Very nice adjustable trigger pull.

Good luck!

Ed
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I owned a 75 stainless once upon a time, in 7mm Remington Ultra Mag. I still kick myself in the backside for getting rid of it, but at the time, I was a little scared the ammo would dry up.

I vote strongly for a 75, or 85 in your beloved 7mm Remington Magnum, or 300 Winchester Magnum...the original's of course, with the belted case...no short mags.

Best
  • Options
    jptatumjptatum Member Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Crosby is right.
  • Options
    Mike FinkMike Fink Member Posts: 274 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One rifle that may be a good fit and is fairly easy to find with time, is a Sako classic. It seems to be a very nice handling carry rifle. You can find them in your 7 tem mag and the 300Mag. They do have a cheek piece but with a straight stock. -Mike