In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

stuck charging handle on DPMS LR 308..please help!

goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
edited January 2012 in Ask the Experts
I put a dummy round in (testing reload for fit), chamber it, and then try to pull charging handle back to eject the round. Charging handle does not budge. I have to pull it back and bang the buttstock on the ground...then it comes unstuck. Someone help, why would this happen? gun is new unfired, it has been cleaned and BCG well oiled. Only mod I have done to it is Magpul PRS stock.
The reload I have in it is just below the 2.800 max OAL and the brass had been full length sized.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You should try a factory loaded round for function. Perhaps your case lengh is long, it may be expanded down at the web. Some autoloader need to have ammo sized in small base sizers. Got any shiny spots on your case indicating a burr somewhere. Maybe it just needs a couple 100's rounds to break in.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Was the brass you were using previously fired and resized 2, 3 or 4 times? Sounds like the neck might be a tad long. Like Charlie says, I have a GAp-10, and I use a full length, small base die frm RCBS, just to make sure they function. Try a factory round, and see what you have.

Best
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As stated, your dummy round is insufficiently resized to fit your rifle's chamber. I've had this happen occasionally.
  • Options
    skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My guess it would be the shouler is not set back enough. I did this in a 5.56 rifle. Stuck as well with my dummy round. Needed to screw sizer in almost another 1/2 turn. Cams over fairly hard, no issues since.

You may want to mic the base just to make sure the bottom part of case in not bulged.