In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Taurus PT 1911

HLOUIE2HLOUIE2 Member Posts: 127 ✭✭
edited January 2012 in Ask the Experts
After all the trouble waiting for purchase permits my PT 1911 finally had its day at the range, much to my disappointment.
1.The second round fed but as the slide closed, the hammer fell to half cock.
2. After finishing a clip of 5 shots, I reloaded with another 5 shot clip, closed the slide and the hammer fell to half cock again.
3. While firing another clip, I tried to squeeze one off and the trigger reacted as if the safety was on. The hammer would not fall,
4. And most troubling is while firing a 5 round clip, three shots were expended, the gun double taped the fourth shot and emptied the clip. I shudder to thing if I had a full clip would it have run the whole clip? Needless to say the gun is on its way back to the factory. Must be a sear lock up problem.. Has anyone out there experienced this sort of trouble or heard of it?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    The 6th of this month I asked for help with a new PT 1911 that was having light firing pin hits. There were many guesses as to the cause, none fixed the problem and the pistol was returned to the factory for repair.

Just got it back this last Monday. Pretty fast service! The note that came with it indicated the sear was not adjusted correctly and that it was fired a number of times during the repair and was now correct. I guess that means it should work. Will try to fire it in the next few days and let you know if it has been corrected. (The sear would not have been my guess and I don't recall it being any one elses.)

Hlouie
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Does any one have a reccomendation for a Taurus 1911 w/ rail holster?
    I am having trouble finding one that fits the weapon.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If that is the statement that you got back from Taurus, that it was the sear's fault for light strikes, then you need to package that gun up and get rid of it as fast as you can. The sear, in no way contributes as to how hard or deep the hammer hits the firing pin, which in turn strikes the primer. If that is what Taurus adjusted, then they did not fix your light strike problem, and blew a bunch of smoke up your posterrior. Yet a nother BOOOO[:(!][:(!][:(!][:(!] for Taurus!

Best

EDIT 1

I do agree with you, that the half cock notch can slow the hammer down, but we are almost 3 decades past the introduction of the series 80 now. With that problem known in existance, it should be non existant in a premier model. I may sound harsh, but these type of things are common with Taurus. I did hear they had a management shakeup, so perhaps things will change.
  • Options
    sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:If that is the statement that you got back from Taurus, that it was the sear's fault for light strikes, then you need to package that gun up and get rid of it as fast as you can. The sear, in no way contributes as to how hard or deep the hammer hits the firing pin, which in turn strikes the primer. If that is what Taurus adjusted, then they did not fix your light strike problem, and blew a bunch of smoke up your posterrior. Yet a nother BOOOO for Taurus!

I am by no means an expert but I can tell you from experience you are incorrect. On a series 80 "which Taurus is " You can have the half cock notch hit the sear and slow the whole thing down enough to get light primer strikes. Back when Colt first came out with the series 80 it was a pretty common problem. I fixed 2 or 3 myself..
    If you dont believe me google it [:)]
  • Options
    260260 Member Posts: 1,134
    edited November -1
    A+++quote:Originally posted by sharpshooter039
    quote:If that is the statement that you got back from Taurus, that it was the sear's fault for light strikes, then you need to package that gun up and get rid of it as fast as you can. The sear, in no way contributes as to how hard or deep the hammer hits the firing pin, which in turn strikes the primer. If that is what Taurus adjusted, then they did not fix your light strike problem, and blew a bunch of smoke up your posterrior. Yet a nother BOOOO for Taurus!

I am by no means an expert but I can tell you from experience you are incorrect. On a series 80 "which Taurus is " You can have the half cock notch hit the sear and slow the whole thing down enough to get light primer strikes. Back when Colt first came out with the series 80 it was a pretty common problem. I fixed 2 or 3 myself..
    If you dont believe me google it [:)]
  • Options
    260260 Member Posts: 1,134
    edited November -1
    don't give up on that pt 1911.