In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt Lawman vs SW 60 -Part II

tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
edited January 2012 in Ask the Experts
tone59,

Your question

quote:Thank you all for sharing your knowledge.

Any opinions regarding the Rossi 461 or 462?

My opinion, would be just like a Taurus...don't do it. They are made in Brazil, and the quality is all over the map. You might get one that works fine, but the odds are against you. Also, once you take it into possesion from the dealer, the value drops in at least half. Nobody wants to buy a new one, let alone a used one...hard to get rid of, if you don't like it. might as well take that money, and get a good S&W, Ruger, or Colt.

Best

Comments

• Options
    tone59tone59 Member Posts: 673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tsr1965
    tone59,

Your question

quote:Thank you all for sharing your knowledge.

Any opinions regarding the Rossi 461 or 462?

My opinion, would be just like a Taurus...don't do it. They are made in Brazil, and the quality is all over the map. You might get one that works fine, but the odds are against you. Also, once you take it into possesion from the dealer, the value drops in at least half. Nobody wants to buy a new one, let alone a used one...hard to get rid of, if you don't like it. might as well take that money, and get a good S&W, Ruger, or Colt.

Best
  • Options
    tone59tone59 Member Posts: 673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you very much!

I purchased a new taurus revolver a few years back and did not like it at all.sold it right away at a $175 loss.

I was unaware that Rossi and Taurus were the same.thanks again.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just to be clear here, Taurus and Rossi are NOT the same company, and in fact I'm pretty sure one is not just a wholly-owned subsidiary of the other.

In fact they are different Brazilian companies with a complex business relationship that includes sharing one American domestic importer.

In any case, I agree entirely with TSR1965's advice to avoid purchasing new Taurus or Rossi pistols. Some of the designs are intrinsically flawed (eg the "Judge"), quality control is sub-optimal and resale value is not great.

My take on these guns is that *IF* you are pretty experienced with guns, and *IF* you have the ability to test a prospective purchase thoroughly, and *IF* you can get it for a great price, THEN, I'd say its OK to buy a *USED* Taurus or Rossi gun.

Poor resale value means that I personally wouldn't consider buying a new one, period.