In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Perplexed ??

JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,148 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2012 in Ask the Experts
Pull out the Vaquero .44 mag to play and finally after 10 yrs I opened up the envelope with the spent cartridge brass that the factory places in the pistol box, .44 spc brass ??? what the hell ? Any ideas as to why it was'nt tested with a magnum round.

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

Comments

• 17tobyracing17tobyracing Member Posts: 3,429 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cheaper to test fire with .44 Special?
  • Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know lots of .44 Specials were used in Magnum single action guns when I used to try my hand at SASS stuff...same for .38's over .357's. Folks wanted to use one load for all their guns, and you could put one or two more Spls into a lever action carbine for rifle stages. Since they were loaded down to SASS velocity the powder density was better with the smaller Spl. case as well. (This was before the Trail Boss powder came out)

As for your test gun.... I have no idea.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The spent shell is provided for the gun control people that require a spent round from the gun.
  • KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    it exists to provide ballistic fingerprints from the gun not to proof the gun.

it really makes zero difference if you use a sub caliber round for this purpose.

i do find it curious though. i would have though just for the purpose of posterity they would use the registered caliber of the gun.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ruger does not like having to do this practice for the states of NY or MD, to start with. So anything they can do to stir the pot on the recieving end, it seems they will do. Glock is the same way.

Also, all the "ballistic fingerprinting" is trying to do is get the microscopic machining marks from the breech face of the pistol imprinted on the casing head. It does not matter if it is a 44 magnum or 44 special, as it is not meant to proof test. BTW, the 44 Special is not a "sub caliber" either. The brass casing is the same external dimensions as the 44 Magnum, except for length. The bullet is the same diameter.

Best