In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Remington thunderbolts ammo 22 lr

woodchuckjohnwoodchuckjohn Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
edited February 2012 in Ask the Experts
I googled Remington 22 cal thunderbolt ammo and came up with a site where everyone was blasting the ammo as dirty, causing problems with their guns fouling barrels. Any thoughts on this. I have used it often in the past and found it ok, especially in my GSG 1911-22 in which it shoots to point of aim accurately.

Comments

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You are lucky. I have test results from three different rifles with Remington ammo that shows it to be junk at best, MV varied from 710FPS to 1100 out of the same box.

You will find VERY few competitive shooters using Remington 22 ammo on the firing line. When you shoot up to 10,000 rounds a year at targets you learn to avoid the junk ammo. Since Remington purchased ELEY the quality of the lower lines have suffered too.....
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think its poor quality ammo and it's not alone. However if works for you and your gun go for it.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Depends what I'm doing. If I want serious target ammo, it isn't my choice.

If I want something cheap to shoot coke cans, it can't be beat.
  • Options
    cavman 69cavman 69 Member Posts: 654 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the bullets are dirty. the powder burns dirty. i have 350 rounds i don't know what to do with because i won't shoot it out of my smith & wesson model 17 anymore.
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I see a giveaway!;-)...The only .22 I won't use it in is the Sig Mosquito, only because that gun specifies CCI mini-mags for use.

I've used Thunderbolt, Winchester Wildcat and Xpert, Federal Lightning, PMC Zapper, etc. It's all decent plinking ammo for the price. Yes, if I was in a competition I'd spring for some Green Tag or Tenex, but for perforating targets for fun, it's ok. as to the "dirty" statements I guess it is, but I have yet to find a .22 round that doesn't dirty up the gun in some shape or form when fired (every gun I have gets cleaned and re-oiled for use after I'm done shooting anyway).
  • Options
    MossbergboogieMossbergboogie Member Posts: 12,211
    edited November -1
    Used exclusively thunderbotls for many year not cause they work because they are cheap.

They are total crap; inconsistent and about 1-10 fails to fire on the first strike.

Going to shoot up my last five hundred and never look back.
  • Options
    geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    I pick up unfired .22's from our club and dispose of them. 80-90% are Thunderbolts. The lead is very soft and the primer method is junk. Most of the heads spin.

I bought a case of Remingtons a few years ago because they "changed" the primer process. I have fired 2500 rounds so far (only in practice)and 16% were duds on the first hit. I would sell the balance of the case, but don't want anyone to be mad after the purchase, so I just assume the dud's are "training" for trigger pull.

There are other brands at about the same price, buy those.

Best of luck
  • Options
    woodchuckjohnwoodchuckjohn Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always get great responses from my posts. Thank you. That about answers my question and makes up my mind. I will stick with the mini mags for my guns that require HV loads.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,958 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I prefer .22s that actually fire. Thunderbolt does not, all too often.
  • Options
    countryfarmercountryfarmer Member Posts: 4,552
    edited November -1
    I have a box of Thunderduds here that gives me fits. At least a 10% misfire or no fire rate with it. Other Remington offerings I have had no problems with.