In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Broken GSG-1911 Magazine Catch

Fairlane66Fairlane66 Member Posts: 336 ✭✭
edited February 2012 in Ask the Experts
I have a GSG-1911 .22 caliber pistol that shoots well and has functioned without a hitch except for one problem. The first time on the range, the magazine catch (the button that releases the mag) lost tension and just flopped back and forth. Normally, I assume it's held in place with a spring to provide tension. I now have to hold the catch in place to insert a mag and get it to remain in the magazine well. The empty mag will then eject normally by hitting the release button. Has anyone else had this problem with a GSG-1911? Is it something any gunsmith can fix or will I need to send the gun back to GSG? Can I fix this problem with normal 1911 parts? Would appreciate any advice. Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like they forgot the little spring. Maybe the mag disconnector is holding the release in place. On a real 1911 the thing that looks like a screw head isn't. Did you get a manual with it?

I'm guessing but use a small flat blade driver and try and turn the screw looking thing about 90 deg while moving the release back and forth a little and pushing in on the stud. Be gentle or you will break something else. I have no clue how the mag disconnector works in your setup.
  • Options
    Fairlane66Fairlane66 Member Posts: 336 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep, got a manual with the gun, but it really doesn't say much. The catch had normal tension when I first purchased the gun but it changed the first time I had it on the range, so I assume either a spring broke or slipped out of place.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would contact the customer service department of the U.S. importer/distributor. Their name will be on the pistol. GOOGLE the name for phone number and e-mail address.

GSG is made by the firm "German Sporting Guns". All their replicas are made mostly of Zinc (pot metal) die castings, on their non stressed parts. Doubtful that the steel magazine release of the U.S. made Colts will function.
  • Options
    llamallama Member Posts: 2,637 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, 1911 parts will work. Some fitting may be required, as is typical. Thats the nice thing about the GSG - "80%" parts compatible. Not sure on the 80% number, but grips, main springs & housings, hammer, safety, trigger stuff, mag release, etc.

But.. you are also covered with a 2 year warranty. And, there are parts updates for the recoil spring plug, recoil spring, and guide rod.

So it may be worth going thru GSG for replacement, even if you do want to put an aftermarket extended release or something in there at some point.
  • Options
    veloceveloce Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fairlane66:
    can you contact me at veloce1962@yahoo.com
    Thanks!
    Val