In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

16 gauge Winchester model 1912

00scoots00scoots Member Posts: 410 ✭✭
edited October 2014 in Ask the Experts
I inherited this Winchester shotgun from my Gramps about 30 years ago. I've never shot it, just cleaned it annually & stored it in the gun safe.

According to a book by George Madis and oldguns.net this 16 gauge shotgun was made in 1919.

My question is this: does this Winchester shotgun take a 2.75" 16 gauge shotshell or some other length that I'm not familiar with?

Thanks for your expertise!

Comments

• Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    I'm pretty sure that unless otherwise marked as 2 3/4", it's a 2 9/16" gun.

Could have had the chamber lengthened at some point, though.
  • Options
    00scoots00scoots Member Posts: 410 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MG1890
    I'm pretty sure that unless otherwise marked as 2 3/4", it's a 2 9/16" gun.

Could have had the chamber lengthened at some point, though.

Thanks for the reply, MG1890.
    There is no marking on the barrel for 2 3/4" or any other chamber measurement.
    This model is a take down version.
    Is there a way to measure the length of the chamber?
  • Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just purchased a foreign 16 ga. shotgun that I need to measure the chamber. I'm going to cut a toilet paper roll lengthwise, insert it into the chamber, mark it where it stops. A close fitting dowel would also work. A fired 16 ga. shell is the easiest way.
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have a gunsmith check it to see if it has been modified to accept the 2&3/4 inch shell, if necessary. Most of them have likely been modified to do just that.
    What's next?
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is more to it than just lengthening the chamber; the ejection port is too short also. See if you can find a fired 2 3/4" shell and slide it into the chamber. Try to eject it and it will probably hang up on the ejection port. Don't be fooled by finding that a 2 3/4" shell will fit in the chamber, it will. It's when the crimp tries to open and the short chamber won't let it that the pressure rises. I think it was 1925 or so when the 2 3/4" came along. Shorter 16 ga. shells are available, I got some for my old model 12. If you are interested, I'll try to find the address of the maker of the short shells (these are not reloads).

I'm glad you've got Grampa's old gun, take good care of it.

By the way, all model 12's were take-downs.
  • Options
    shooter10shooter10 Member Posts: 461 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have Grandad's old Winchester pump and it would hang up empties during ejection. Google Polywad, Inc. and try the "Vintagers" 2 1/2 inch in 6, 7 1/2, and #8, for $11.00 a box. They will do the job.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 00scoots
    I inherited this Winchester shotgun from my Gramps about 30 years ago. I've never shot it, just cleaned it annually & stored it in the gun safe.

According to a book by George Madis and oldguns.net this 16 gauge shotgun was made in 1919.

My question is this: does this Winchester shotgun take a 2.75" 16 gauge shotshell or some other length that I'm not familiar with?

Thanks for your expertise!

In answer to your question, all Model "1912" 16-gauge guns were chambered for a 2-9/16" shell.

In response to the date of manufacture, neither George Madis or oldguns.net has accurate DOM information for the Model 1912. If you would like the correct date, post or send me the serial number.