In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Another S&W DOM please...?

tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
edited October 2014 in Ask the Experts
..I simply can't find it in the charts, though my wife says I couldn't find my own *** with both hands.

..It's a S&W Mod. 37 Airweight, 2" barrel in .38 sp. I don't mind giving the whole serial # of: 279595 on the bottom of the grip frame. However, the crane is marked 76226, as is the grip frame on the left side. Does anyone have any ideas? Which is the true ser.# ? Thanks much folks.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    S & W book, is vague, on "J" frames made between 1958 & 1962. My WAG is that it dates to 1961.

Be super careful what you feed it, and how much you shoot it. I screwed up a early 37. IMHO they were made to be carried a lot and shot very sparingly.
  • Options
    tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ..Thank you Rufe. Yes, I know they are fragile. Mine was an officer's off-duty gun in the 60's and I don't make a habit of shooting it. Even then, only mid range wadcutter rounds. Definitely not for +p's!

..Any idea on the numbers on the crane as opposed to those on the grip frame?
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think the serial number is the one on the bottom of the grip frame.
  • Options
    ZinderblocZinderbloc Member Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ^^^^^ yes, older S&W revolvers had the serial number on the butt. The numbers on the crane were factory assembly numbers.