In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Serial numbers?

EhlerDaveEhlerDave Member Posts: 5,158 ✭✭
edited October 2014 in Ask the Experts
Okay I was hoping without going to the Fed site and wasting hours looking that one or more of you folks could help. I have in my possession a cheap revolver, the serial number HAS NOT been messed with just very poorly stamped.

Any legal reason as to why I cant stamp the number ABOVE the original? Not over it, just to make it easy to read without a magnifying glass. With the glass the number is easy to read, but few LEO's are going to worry about that, dont want it to become a problem later.
Just smile and say nothing, let them guess how much you know.

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I would leave it as is .
    #1 Many older worn guns have hard to read serial numbers and never heard it causing problems.
    #2 many 1911 pistols were refinished so many times they had serial restampped .
    #3some of the 1911 Civilian Pistols with swartz safetys had original serial numbered XXXXX out and new number put on them by COLT

"as they say in JURSAY" " dont worry bout it"
  • Options
    KnifecollectorKnifecollector Member Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are no legal issues about stamping numbers on the firearm, as long as you do not deface the original serial number.
  • Options
    EhlerDaveEhlerDave Member Posts: 5,158 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys, will ask the owner what she wants done.

Appreciate the help, David.
    Just smile and say nothing, let them guess how much you know.