In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

S&W help what do I have

perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
edited October 2014 in Ask the Experts
Hello Guys I am not knowledgeable When it come to anything newer than a S&W # 3 target. But picked up two target pistols from an older Bulls-Eye Shooter The one that intrigues me the most i a double action
Large frame It Has the letter S stamped on both the bottom and left side of the grip frame and on cylinder Crane It has the number 12263 and very very small letter e on frame /crane closing area and the crane. It has the number 70505 on the area of the barrel under lug where the ejector rod is housed and on the bottom of the grip frame . It has a
6&1/2 inch barrel with 3 inch lug. The barrel has fully adjustable sights with full length rib 1/4 inch wide and with 1/8 inch wide front sight.The gun has no model # and barrel marked Smith & WESSON on the left and 38 S&W SPECIAL CTG on the right. This pistol has with the grips removed 4 screws in the side plate and one screw looking from the muzzle in the front of the trigger guard Bow. I know they made a 38/44 outdoorsman but my blue books only speak of fixed sights in that configuration This gun is 99% but trigger shoe and Italian made target grips. Can you give me some Idea of what I have
and when it was made. Thanks Karl.
I will be able to send pictures as soon as I can get my new camera to work with Windows 8 Thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My WAG and the S & W book. Identify it as a .38/44 Outdoorsman, (postwar-transitional). SN range S62940-S75000. Approximately 2,326, made between 46 & 49.

It appears you hit the jackpot, Karl!
  • Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They did make Outdoorsman's with adj sights too..some are even for sale on the auction side
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys Yes That is the pistol
    I am going to start another post /Topic on the second pistol as I was so long winded on the description on this one. Sure wish it had Original grips the grips on it are very well made with a hint of thumb rest for right hand shooter and inside is deeply stamped Made in ITALY on both. Please see if you can help me with net post Mainly looking for DOM
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    N frame .38 with adjustable sights is the Outdoorsman.
    The fixed sight gun is the Heavy Duty.

The serial number is the one on the butt, also on barrel and cylinder in this era.
    Numbers on and under the cylinder yoke are factory fitting numbers of no significance after the gun was completed and sold.
  • Options
    22hipower22hipower Member Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    perry shooter,

This one is definitely worth getting that S&W letter you asked about in another post. Easily a $1500 gun even without the correct stocks. And you may luck out and find out that the gun was shipped to an interesting individual.

Was the second gun as interesting and unusual?

Jeff

Edit: Ok, finally read all the posts; a K22. Another great one but not sure I'd invest in a letter on this one unless there is some reason to suspect some special feature.
  • Options
    richardaricharda Member Posts: 405 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Italian-made grips for S&Ws should be "SILE" brand