In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

ammo ? on 762x53R

rambo rebelrambo rebel Member Posts: 4,028
edited October 2014 in Ask the Experts
just what in the heck is it for? I have a box of Lapua 762x53r and wanted to know just what rifle shoots it?

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    7.62x53R and 7.62x54R are 2 names for the same cartridge.
    As a FYI, the actual case length is 53.5mm
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rambo rebel
    just what in the heck is it for? I have a box of Lapua 762x53r and wanted to know just what rifle shoots it?

Finnish made (eg Lapua) 7.62x53R is *NOT* the same as 7.62x54R, though its fairly close.

Its a slightly altered derivative, with .308 (instead of .312) bullet diameter and slightly altered case dimensions.

The cartridge is specifically intended for use in Finnish rifles based on the 7.63x54R. Basically, the Finnish rebarreled worn out military Mosin rifles with .308 barrels, and then this cartridge was created to optimize these new rifles. See here for complete history and info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.62×53mmR

While you can fire the 7.63x53R is in any rifle intended for 7.62x54R (Mostly Mosin rifles, but also several semiautomatics like the PSL, Dragunov, VEPR) its really intended (and best used in) specialty Finnish rifles designed for it. If you were to rebarrel an "ordinary" Mosin in .308, this could be a good choice, I suppose.

To make this a little more confusing, as above, note that some older Russian made ammo otherwise identical to 7.62x54 ammo is labelled 7.62x53R. That happened basically because of "rounding error" before the name of this cartridge was standardized at 7.62x54R. So older Russian labelled "7.62x53R" is not the same as Finnish "7.62x53R"!
  • Options
    rambo rebelrambo rebel Member Posts: 4,028
    edited November -1
    so a box of 20 should be worth ??? I need to sell it since I'll probably never buy or own a finnish rifle that'll shoot it. do you know what model rifle it is?
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    so a box of 20 should be worth ??? I need to sell it since I'll probably never buy or own a finnish rifle that'll shoot it. do you know what model rifle it is?

Your ammo can be used in MILLIONS of different guns.
    It may have a 123 grain .308" bullet which is smaller and lighter than the "Normal" for the cartridge.
    But it will function just fine in the loads of Com-bloc guns that were made for the 7.62x54R shell.
    Worth about $25 a box depending on bullet. {less for FMJ...more for soft points}
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Again, you CAN fire this from any bolt action Mosin Nagant Rifle, and those are probably THE most common military surplus rifle in the USA right now. So you certainly don't "have" to buy a special rifle for this. You probably just won't get the kind of high-level accuracy from a normal Mosin that would justify paying extra for this type of ammo, that's all.

On value of your ammo, Lapua ammo is effectively match quality and typically expensive on a per-round basis. The brass is also considered high quality for reloading. Real world value of your box depends, of course, on exact sub-type of ammo, and how/where you're trying to sell it, but as comparison, Brownell's wants $36-38/box of 20 for this ammo right now:

http://www.brownells.com/ammunition/rifle-ammo/lapua-fmj-ammo-7-62x53r-fmj-123gr-sku749015428-56496-117220.aspx?source=CJ&aid=3245527&cm_mmc=affiliate-_-Itwine-_-CJ-_-10736784

http://www.brownells.com/ammunition/rifle-ammo/lapua-mega-ammo-7-62x53r-sp-185gr-sku749015427-56499-117219.aspx

With relatively low demand for this, I'd agree that $25-30 a box is probably reasonable if you want to sell it.