In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

AK Poly Magazine

vandj1318vandj1318 Member Posts: 237 ✭✭
edited October 2014 in Ask the Experts
Hello All,

I've got two Norinco AK47, 5rnd mags but one is marked Poly. They look identical. Can any of you tell me the difference? Or history? Or value? Thank you for your time.

Jim

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Polytech was the name, of one of the early Chinese AK imports. Supposedly they are better finished and higher quality, than the run of the mill AK's. The story was, that supposedly they were built in the same factories. And to the same standard, as the AK's built for the Chinese PLA, ( Peoples Liberation Army )?

I've never been a connoisseur of AK's, so never could tell the difference. Nowadays original Polytech AK's, bring much more money on the collectors market. Your "Poly" marked mag, would be coveted by a collector of AK's, likely?
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,751 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Poly should have a chrome follower..,didn't know they were any 5 round ones? but put a 30 round poly tech mag and a 30 round regular mag and you will see the difference-
  • Options
    rambo rebelrambo rebel Member Posts: 4,028
    edited November -1
    nib poly AK's usually came with 3 30 round mags. some early 30's didn't have the chrome follower but did have the 3 witness holes on the back. as for the 5 rounder, IF it was put in a nib poly AK it would have been put there to be more compliant for sale state by state.
    some hi caps were illegal in some states. floor plates on chinese mags were plain, china, made in china and poly stamped.

more than likely your mag is a norinco mag with a poly floor plate put there because it was shipped with a poly AK.

value - not much unless an * AK collector has a poly thats nib but missing the 5 rounder. he's sitting there looking at the "hole" in his box and its driving him crazy.[:D]

$10 - $20
  • Options
    edited November -1
    When you say chrome, do you mean shiny chrome? Like a bumper? The follower in this mag looks like a regular blued piece.
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,751 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by vandj1318
    When you say chrome, do you mean shiny chrome? Like a bumper? The follower in this mag looks like a regular blued piece.

Yes,,,the real Legions Polys have the chrome follower and are quite nice-
  • Options
    edited November -1

only the 30's came with that type follower. now you used to could buy just the chrome follower and you could install that in any chinese mag. I still have a few of the folowers. and this;

http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=449458445
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rambo rebel

only the 30's came with that type follower. now you used to could buy just the chrome follower and you could install that in any chinese mag. I still have a few of the folowers. and this;

http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=449458445

Is that a chrome follower in a Norinco mag since it's not marked Poly?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    its a poly mag because of the 3 witness holes.
    so it could be;

a) an earley poly mag that had a china floor plate
    b) " " " " " " a black follower that someone relaced with a chrome one.

tha floor plate "should" say poly BUT the chinese would not have wasted anything and IF the were doing a run on poly mags and ran out of the correct floor plates they wouldn't have held up production if they had china stamped floor plates to use till other polys were available.

remember, when dealing in chinese made items like this they had no manufacturing proticals, lol.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    So, my 5rnd could actually be a Poly mag. They just ran out of chrome followers the day it was produced and installed a reg. one, lol?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    no - he/I was talking about the floor plate not being poly stamped but being china stamped, not the chrome follower. the 5 rounders never came with the chrome follower to my knowledge.