In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Napalese Enfields

csaduckcsaduck Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
edited November 2014 in Ask the Experts
A local antique shop has several 1853 pattern Enfield's for sale with a big sign saying they are from the Civil War. My question is, these guns have what looks like markings from India, or Nepal, on the sights, but the lock says London 1853, could these have been run through the blockade to supply the confederacy for the civil war?

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't think so.

Most likely these are "decorators" imported within the last few years from the Hindu Kush, as they have been for at least 200 years. There are many small "shops" that piece these together, primarily for the tourist trade, using a mix of genuine parts (like the locks) & locally manufactured barrels, wood, & small parts. I've seen a couple of recently imported guns brought back by our troops from Afghanistan.

Neal
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,087 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Didn't those guys out of New Jersey get a boat load of stashed Nepalanese guns a few years back? They even had a reality son and father gun TV show for a bit. If I were guessing the antique shops got those guns.