In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Remington Model 4 RB Trigger

pfm41pfm41 Member Posts: 75 ✭✭
edited November 2014 in Ask the Experts
My lever take-down #4 has the usual very heavy trigger pull; right at 3 pounds to move the trigger with only the trigger in the frame. I've read that on the large frame RB the leaf spring that serves as the trigger return can be ground narrower to lighten it. Can this be done successfully on a #4? The sear engagement seems to be very good, that is, not a lot of creep and the angle is right. If someone has a picture of a spring that has been modified to lighten it, I would like to see it. What would be the minimum safe amount of return pressure as measured with the hammer held out of engagement and measured with a pull gauge? I'm not trying to get a "target grade" trigger pull but just a little more enjoyable to shoot. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try the pull with return spring removed to give you some idea how much trigger pull is required to disengage it from the hammer.
    You may have to play with the hammer notch.
    Lightening hammer spring too much may cause the firing pin to kick back the hammer to half cock.
    You don't really need 3# to reliably return the trigger if sear and hammer notch are correct.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I trimmed the trigger return portion of the spring down to about 75% of the original width which brought the weight to a little less that 2 pounds without hammer engagement and 4.5 pounds with in engaged. Before I started I checked it with no spring to make sure the geometry was correct; it would not push off and it broke cleanly. I did nothing with the hammer spring. I think I can safely bring the raw trigger return pressure down to a pound which should give me a 4 pound or slightly less trigger pull. I would like to have another spring on hand before I proceed though. I used a Dremmel to trim it but held the spring without tools to make sure I didn't get it too hot.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The amount of undercut in the hammer full cock notch determines trigger pull besides hammer spring and trigger spring forces.
    That's why I suggested to measure trigger pull with trigger spring removed.
    It's a good idea to keep an EMPTY 22 case in the chamber during these tests.
    If you end up reducing full cock notch depth, also reduce half cock depth so as not to break off trigger sear as the hammer comes forward. This type of damage happens a lot with hammer guns eg SA Colts.
    Also back off the hammer spring screw a bit and test.
    Hammer kick back to half cock will tell you it's(hammer spring pressure) too light.
    Let us know what trigger pull you end up with.
    I'd like my own #4 trigger pull to make sense. It's in line with a bunch of other projects.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    v35, Thanks for the insight. I did install the hammer with the main spring and the trigger without the spring; the result was pulls anywhere from 1.5 to 3 pounds. The beauty of these little rifles is that you can install the hammer and trigger on the outside of the frame so you can really see what's happening. The notch was not under cut but had some machining marks. With slight pressure on the hammer every one of them could be felt as your pulled the trigger. A few strokes with a fine stone on the notch and on the end of the trigger nose took care of them. Without the trigger spring it now breaks very nicely at 16oz and fully assembled it is a consistent 3.75 pounds.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Great, I'll send you mine.