In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

spanish mauser

Bill JordanBill Jordan Member Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2014 in Ask the Experts
I have a spanish mauser serial # 2126.What year was it made??Iwould say it is in about 80 percent condition or better.
Thanks PEZ

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I have a real nice Spanish mauser I bought at a show. The only thing wrong with it it has a turned down bolt handle. I.v seen a few spanish mausers and they all had a straight bolt handle. The bolt functions well but I don't want to shoot it for fear something bad might happen.I'm looking for advice, because I sure would like to shoot it. Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i've got one dated 1932 ;
    probably 7mm; what do i
    i do with it/
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I recently acquired a sporterized rifle that I was told was a spanish mauser in 7mm. Is the correct ammo for this rifle the 7mm mauser? Seems to me that I saw somewhere where the 7x57 is also correct...

Thanks for the responses...

"In God We Trust........All Others Go Thru NCIC"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Okay, I now have a Spanish Mauser that I purchased to build a custom rifle out of. It turned out to be a small ring mauser (8MM). Appears to be in great shape - is it possible to convert it to the 22-250 or 243?...Thanks[?]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    At a gun show I saw what it seems to be a spanish mauser from 1950.
    the curious aspect was that it was made in 308 caliber and had a muzzle break?
    there were several of this.
    any mauser experts out there to give me some background on this unusual rifle?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hi all, first time poster, new gun owner (Forgive me if I screw up terms)

I've got a Spanish Mauser, 7x57. On the top of the breach, it says "Fabrica de Armas" with "Oviedo" and "19-3" Underneath (3rd number is worn off) It has a 21 inch barrel, which is corroded by the way, but still has pronounced rifling...and the S/N is H8632. I have a couple of questions:
    -Is this the Model 1916 Spanish Mauser?
    -Are the numbers on the adjustable rear sight in meters?

Thanks for the help
  • Options
    TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    check the headspace and shoot it.
    I've owned and shot dozens of Spanish Mausers, I'm still here.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    7 X 57 military surplus is non existent, any more. Even if you reload not going to be cheap. With the prices, of bullets/powder/primers/brass, nowadays. Sell it on the auction, unless you have a reason to keep it?
  • Options
    mmppresmmppres Member Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    shoot mine all the time hornady makes some nice new factory ammo to mil spec.
    i also reload an one you have brass cost not that much. enjoy
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Bill,

Just sent you an email.

Assuming it's still in 7mm Mauser, it's a fairly easy proposition.

My recommendation is to get a box or two of factory ammo and go from there.

We can discuss the particulars by email, I don't have much time to type a response right now.
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    7 X 57 military surplus is non existent, any more. Even if you reload not going to be cheap. With the prices, of bullets/powder/primers/brass, nowadays. Sell it on the auction, unless you have a reason to keep it?

PSA has PRVI in 7x57.
    http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ammunition/rifle-ammunition/7mm-mauser/prvi-partian-7x57-mauser-7mm-mauser-139gr-soft-point-box-of-20-pp7-0.html
    My polished turd loves that stuff. Almost as accurate with it as Federal Premium.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bill Jordan
    i've got one dated 1932 ;
    probably 7mm; what do i
    i do with it/

Put it in the mail and send it to me! [:p]

The question is what do you WANT to do with it?

Contrary to what was posted above, at least some cheap (corrosive) surplus ammo *IS* still available. I just got off the phone with SAMCO and they tell me that yes, they *DO* have this ammo in stock, though its mixed manufacturers thrown together in lots:

https://www.samcoglobal.com/Ammo-mauser.html

Assuming the gun itself is OK, IMO, this alone makes it a "keeper".

If you want something a little better, as mentioned above, good commercial loads are still available, and they're comparably priced to other mid-power centerfire rifle rounds. 7mm Mauser is a great hunting round, and there are a number of good hunting type loads out too.

Of course you can reload if you want to.