In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

20 gauge 2 3/4" or 3"

utbrowningmanutbrowningman Member Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭
edited November 2014 in Ask the Experts
Any noticeable difference that makes the price worth the switch? Taking my oldest pheasant hunting and he shoots a 20.

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like 3" chambers but I only re-load 2.75" myself.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    utbrowningman,

It depends on the shotgun and the chokes selected. I patterned mine with both and several loads to see which way it wanted to go.

My superposed 20 ga. really liked the 3" with copper plated #6 shot for pheasant and I use #7-1/2 for grouse, quail and dove.

Best.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Son found that 2 3/4" Nitro Mag's were all he wanted in his Fox 20 gauge. He killed numerous turkeys using an old Ithaca 37 20 with 2 3/4" loads so no shortage of power. I think 3" is too much recoil for young hunters.
  • MossbergboogieMossbergboogie Member Posts: 12,211
    edited November -1
    If you could get a better pattern, yes. However if you are already killing birds and happy with a 2.75 a 3 isn't going to kill them any more dead.
  • gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Personally, I believe a 2 3/4" is plenty for pheasants. That being said, I typically shoot 3" at wild birds just because I can. I also use a 28 gauge for wild pheasants and have good luck with that.
    Is your "oldest" big enough to absorb a little more recoil?
    Tell him to aim, it's very important!!
    Good luck and please post photos after your successful hunt!!
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The company my older Son works for used to take them on a "team building" pheasant hunt in SD every year. He killed as many(or more) birds using 20 ga 2 3/4" 2 3/4 dr 1 oz copper plated 6 as those shooting 12 "shoulder bruiser" loads. Although I own a couple of 20 ga 3" chambered guns, there have never been any 3" 20 ga loads here. The length of the shot column and resultant flyer shot(except on the high $$ stuff)negates the extra amount of shot and only results in more recoil w/o improved patterns.