In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Sako question

toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2014 in Ask the Experts
LGS has a nice Sako riihimaki in 222 for sale. It is a deluxe model with the engraving and such. I see them for sale on the auction side but can't seem to find them listed in the blue book under a "rhiihimaki to get some more info on them. But was wondering if the riihimaki was standard from Finland and the deluxe was the version. Any info would be appreciated, thanks.

Todd

Comments

• toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As i understand it Sako's are a very fine rifle.
    However many times i will see them advertised on the GB auctions as "Pre Garcia".
    Just what does that mean??
    Also i see many advertised as boffors barrels.
    What does that mean??
    Are some Sako's not as desirable as others because of these issues??

mike
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007
    I think its a L46. Riihimaki is the town. http://sakocollectors.com/forum/threads/sako-riihimaki.4444/

That's what I was thinking Charlie since Rhiimahaki is the Capitol of Finland. Thank you!
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by toad67
    I think its a L46. Riihimaki is the town. http://sakocollectors.com/forum/threads/sako-riihimaki.4444/

That's what I was thinking Charlie since Rhiimahaki is the Capitol of Finland. Thank you!

Maybe things have been changed, since I got out of school? (it's been a long time). Use to be Helsinki.
  • 62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it is an L-46 it will have a detachable 3-round box magazine. They are getting scarce since the L-46 wasn't made after 1960. I have one of the lot that Marlin bought and barreled with a "micro-groove" barrel and called the Model 322. It has been a long-time favorite of mine, it is extremely accurate.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    quote:Originally posted by toad67

Maybe things have been changed, since I got out of school? (it's been a long time). Use to be Helsinki.

Yea yea yea, okay it was a brain fart! When I looked in the BB it said Rhiihimaki, and I was thinking something else[B)] Let's leave it at that[;)] Thanks for the info fellas!
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can't go wrong with one of the older versions. I had a collection of them at one time,[B)] and the L-46 in 243 that I had was simply amazingly accurate, I mean serious shooter,,[:)]
    edited November -1
    The serial number is 47145, anyone know the dom?
  • AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Anybody remember that Marlin also produced a 422, also on the Sako detachable magazine action? It was marked "Varmint King" which seems strange since the 322 had the heavy barrel and the the 422 was sporter weight. I have one of each.
  • RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Grab it! Wouldn't let go of mine for anything. Finest made and one of the most accurate rifles I've owned. Mine had a very blond, raised comb, skipped line checkering stock .that I didn't care for. True collectors would likely damn me for it, but I swapped out it out for an older, darker stock with more subtle cheek piece. Never looked back. Came with the r ear peep sight. Nice backup to have if you can find one. Mine loves 53 grain match bullets pushed in the 3000 fps range with 4198 but also goes very nicely with 45 grain pill at Hornet velocities. Buy it, send us pictures and ENJOY!