In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Spandau mauser 98

bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2014 in Ask the Experts
Found this manufacturer under a scope mount with a 1918 date. Did Spandau make many 98 Mausers during WWI? It is now a sporter converted to 30-06 with a 1968 barrel date. I know the value as a collector is gone but I am curious about the action.

What is the general consensus on the quality of these actions?

Comments

• Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Spandau was one of four government arsenals before WWI, the others being Danzig, Amberg, and Erfurt.
    Spandau was mostly used as a repair depot but did produce some new construction weapons, mostly the MG-08 machine gun.
    They made fewer GEW 98's than Erfurt and Danzig, and I believe fewer than Amberg, but I don't remember for sure.

The action is one of the best you'll likely see in your lifetime. On the right side next to the proofs, if you see a little RC, it means something was a second on the action. If it's not there, it's a perfect action as produced.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think the action should be good. The BYF 44 I had was rough but shot fine. I much prefer my S 39, much nicer finish.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    the late ww1 rifles/actions (all mgf's.) are usualy a little rougher that the early ones but are safe if used for moderate cal's (I wouldn't build a belted mag. on one)
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MIKE WISKEY
    the late ww1 rifles/actions (all mgf's.) are usualy a little rougher that the early ones but are safe if used for moderate cal's (I wouldn't build a belted mag. on one)

It looks very well kept, it is now sporting a 30-06 barrel that looks great. I am going to find a one piece mount for it next.