In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mossberg 500 forend replacement

B&G ClingerB&G Clinger Member Posts: 1,789 ✭✭
edited November 2014 in Ask the Experts
I have a Mossberg 500 pump action shotgun. I would like to replace the forend with a newer style forend. Will the newer style forends with the integrated action rods fit the older style shot guns that had seperate slide action tubes, action rods, and a wood forend all held together with a nut that threaded onto the action tube?

Comments

• Options
    MossbergboogieMossbergboogie Member Posts: 12,211
    edited November -1
    Should, the internals are mostly the same. They modified it to drop production costs.
  • Options
    KAMsalesKAMsales Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Be advised, those new forends are really prone to breakage where the pins are. I've had to convert a lot of them back to the action tube style for customers.
  • Options
    xxx97xxx97 Member Posts: 5,721
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by KAMsales
    Be advised, those new forends are really prone to breakage where the pins are. I've had to convert a lot of them back to the action tube style for customers.
    good info... [:)]
  • Options
    B&G ClingerB&G Clinger Member Posts: 1,789 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by KAMsales

I looked for a new/used one to replace the action tube on my dads. The action tube has some very fine threads and when he put it back together....he cross threaded it. Action tube is $50 -$100 depending on if you want a brand new one or not. For the same 50 bucks I can get a new stock and forend w\integrated action rods in almost any camo print I can dream up. Seems like a good way to go.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Take a needle file and carefully chase the correct thread, then reinstall it properly. Seems to me you can find a whole used 500 for $150 or less and keep dads for parts.