In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Best performing silenced 45

jprice846jprice846 Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
edited November 2014 in Ask the Experts
What 45ACP runs well thru a silencer and is available threaded?

Also, would anyone know the time usually needed to license?

Comments

• Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The H&K Mk 23 was specifically designed for use with a suppressor. It is pricey and bulky, but with a Knight's Armament Corp. unit mounted and full power 230 grain loads it is quite reliable. It is even quieter when wet.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are you asking about pistols or ammo?

I think just about any .45 auto pistol "can" be made to run fine with a suppressor. Efficacy is more about the suppressor and how your use it than the pistol, I think.

Aftermarket threaded Glock barrels are cheap (about $125), readily available, and drop right in.

But there are plenty of other threaded barrel choices available aftermarket: FNP 45, Sig 220, Springfield XD, HK USP, are a few I've seen, though these typically cost a bit more (~$200-250). I'm sure there are others, too.

Threaded 1911 barrels are cheap, but may require fitting.

On ammo, with .45s most people run ball ammo. The heavy 230 grain rounds move relatively slowly, making them naturally subsonic, and a bit easier to suppress than lighter rounds. Plus they typically function well in most guns.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I really enjoyed the suppressed Uzi in 45 ACP on full auto. Some cans are made way better than others. I would guess around half a year. Find your local class 3 dealer and ask them.

Ran 230 Lyman 352374 just fine and Winchester White box ball.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    jprice846,

I'm not so worried about the gun as I am the suppressor.

Most modern .45 ACP semi-autos will handle a can. I tune the spring and load to maximize the consistency of the function.

However, the cans themselves are not the best performers on the .45 ACP. I suggest you do some research on the the .45 cal. suppressors before laying out several hundred dollars on a can. Be aware that many of these cans will run better when run wet.

.45 cal. cans:

AAC Ti-RANT

Silencerco Osprey

Several of us are running the Silencerco Harvester on hunting and Tac rifles.

Time delays seem to be running in excess of 9 months and the last two that I know about from last week about took 12 months. ATF claims they are crushed with new waive of approvals.

Best.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nononsense makes a good point about doing your research.

A friend asked to go to the range with him to fire his newly suppressed 9mm Beretta 92. The first thing I noticed was that the diameter of his can was too large, & it obscured the sights. The gun was loud, as he wasn't familiar with the term "subsonic". The slide had to be racked for each shot; he wasn't a reloader, so he couldn't tune the gun to the load. He couldn't go back to the dealer who sold him the can, as the dealer was just, well, a dealer, & didn't work on guns.

If you aren't comfortable with all of this, you may want to find a Class 3 dealer who is also a Class 3 repair facility. Buy everything from him, with the written stipulation that the price includes assembly, testing, & tuning for a specific load.

Neal
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like the Osprey
    And use WD40 to keep it wet
  • Options
    burpfireburpfire Member Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a mk 23 with aac tirant. it is VERY quiet. the loudest noise is the bullet hitting the trees in my backyard! the 45acp is ideal for suppression because 95% of the ammo is already sub-sonic. saty with a name brand can and you will be happy! don't go cheap.

if you do a e-file, I know of people getting their forms back in as little as 3 months. that is when the sight is running good.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here is a quote from a friend of mine who has a grip on the physics of suppression. He also has a tremendous amount of experience with suppressed firearms in real world confrontations.

"Oh and BTW: I have a great deal of experience with suppressors. All my cans are less than 2 years old. Anyone who owns .45 cans or have shot them know, that even if you used wipes in your can, you will still hear a GREAT deal more than "just the action noise". The .45 is not the best weapon to suppress. Physics alone negate that. You have a bullet the size of your pinky tip (on average weighing 230gr) being pushed by a **** ton of powder, propelled to between 850 & 950 fps in an amount of time that can be measured only in nano-seconds.. There is absolutely NO WAY of negating the sound of that gas exploding from the end of the muzzle unless your suppressor is 6 feet long and 3 feet around... even then with about a 1/2 gallon of jello in it. You'd probably still hear a lot of the report. - The hole through a can is larger than the hole in the barrel... unless you use wipes, exploding gases will still escape out causing a loud report. You can't argue with physics, just like you can't argue with gravity. Your last posting just doesn't make sense. On the other front.. The PMC Mod. Ammo is a quiet round indeed, but its combat ineffective. It's the same round as CCI's CB round. Neither the Mod nor the CB round like to cycle many actions very well at all. Every semi-auto out there relies on the recoil generated by the (controlled) explosion of the round. Manufacturers make the ammo subsonic or quiet by removing some (or in the case of the Mod or CB just about all) of the power charge (explosive payload), or make the bullet so damn big (as the case of the .45). The CB and MOD propel the bullet by the explosiveness of the primer (and an extremely low amount of powder). These rounds are good for game control at VERY close distances, but neither is good to shoot from a silencer. The round does not have the speed necessary to stabilize very well and can result in a baffle strike potentially destroying your silencer. Shoot them if you want to, but if you can place a target at 50 feet and see keyholes. you've got a round that is NOT safe to use through a can. "

Best.

Oh and a call to ATF got me an answer of 'count of 12 months, we're buried in applications.'. Those suppressors that we sell and hold for clients are averaging 9 to 12 months e-file or snail mail.

Best.