In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Bersa Thunder in .45

NOTPARSNOTPARS Member Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2006 in Ask the Experts
I was looking over some Bersa Thunders in both .45 acp and 9mm. I like them but have qualms about their reliability and long term durability. I went to the Bersa Talk forums and most posters like them. However, reading between the lines, it seemed that maybe quality control was an issue. Some posters had wonderful pistols and couldn't say enough about them. Others talked about "teething problems," and still others talked about jamming or stove-piping problems clearing up after a hundred rounds or so. I still haven't made up my mind on my car gun/get out of town gun yet. I've narrowed the list down to a CZ-75D Compact PCR, Ruger P-90, and the Bersa. weight and concealability are secondary to reliability and price. I can get the Bersa .45, stainless for $300 out the door (taxes, shipping etc.), CZ, $460 out the door, and Ruger $425 out the door. Anyone have any comments on the Bersa?

Comments

• Options
    N. MichiganN. Michigan Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello Notpars,

Your answer is simple what is your life worth if your concerned about reliability. When it come right down to it is the one hundred dollars really worth it, yes!.

Good Luck,
  • Options
    edited November -1
    For N. Michigan: I couldn't agree more, but is this a reliable handgun? I will definitely pay $100 more for a gun I can rely on and have no problems with. Again, I agree totally.
  • Options
    Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    I seem to remember in the pre cnc days colt 1911A1's needing a breakin period. Ive shot them in 9mm and 40 and never had one problem pumping 500 rounds through them without cleaning them. 500 rounds of Wolf might I add.

Argentine guns are fine. FN used to trust them with contracts and along with Brazil its the only southern american country I trust to make my guns.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    For Wehrmacht_45: Thanks for the vote of confidence. Again, I can get a stainless Thunder in .45 acp out the door for $300. I have a tuition reimbursement check coming from my employer which means it would cost me $180!!! That would leave me enough to get my wife a handgun too.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Let me tell you a little story.

Several years ago a friend asked me to help him pick out a .38 snubby. I tried to steer him towards a Colt or S&W, but he saw an ad for a Charter that was $100 cheaper. And, it looked the same. So, he decided that's what he would buy. When I took him to the range, he found that he barely had the strength to pull the 30 lb trigger on the Charter. At that point, he realized that a smoother, lighter trigger might be one of the things that you pay for when you buy a more expensive gun. To this day, he still complains about the trigger pull when he fires his Charter, but he refuses to pay a gunsmith for lighter springs & an action job.

Bersa is not known as a "top quality" manufacturer. Buy the best that you can afford; you will never regret it.

Neal

"You get what you pay for, sometimes less."
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would buy the Bersa in a heartbeat, if it was FOR TARGET PRACTICE AND PLINKING!!! They are good little guns, but in no way should they be confused with a Ruger or CZ in terms of durability, original build quality and consistency of function. What about the Witness pistols? They are essentially the CZ 75 perfected, and generally cost a butt load less. My 10mm is a canon, and a canon that I am VERRRRRY comfortable with, and trusting of!

I too lived in the UP for awhile, and unless you know a good gunsmith up there, spare parts should be of concern to you. Perhaps more pointedly, necessity of spare parts should be a great concern. I've heard generally good things about the Bersa customer service and product back-up, but have heard of and seen failures with their products. I have, by recollection, NEVER seen a CZ or Witness go in the toilet on it's owner. I've HEARD of it, but never seen it.

My thoughts on this, and my reccomendation go to the Witness and CZ75 in that order. The Tanfoglio Bros in Italy have been making some really impressive pistols for quite some time now, and have managed to do so at a significant cost savings over the original CZ-75 that inspired them. Unless I'm far off base here, I would say look into the EAA Witness
  • Options
    Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    I told him about the CZ 40 P that goes for 299 new from JG Sales. I have found that the full size Bersas ar every bit as good as domestic pistols. ALot of people I find here would say the same for such pistols as the XD if it wasnt marked Springfield Armory just because its not made in first world country. Maybe its because I am not American and dont have that guarded mentality. Argentina and Brazil make damned fine guns. I have seen Argentine Hi Powers function every bit as well as Belgian ones. Colt Sistemas are just as good as the native colt 191a1 military pistols, and even the Baellester Molina is a fine gun, just one thats hard to ge parts for.

now if the gun was made in indonesia or Bangledesh I would worry. Argetnina has a long tradition of making hi quality firearms. Bersa is just so chep cause the economic situation in that country allows them to be mae and imported at a low cost without sacrificing quality. I have had more trouble with a sig 220 than any of the Bersas I have shot.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    For NMyers: Good point. I was interested in a Charter Arms until I handled it. Rough. I had a Smith Model 60 and it was much smoother even than my Ruger. This is why I am leery about getting the Bersa.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    For 1KYDSTR: Excellent post and I never thought of the Witness. Is it still sold under European American Arms? Do they make an equivalent of the CZ-75 compact with decocker? If so, I'm headin their way for a look. The gun I am looking for has to do with a situation when I was surrounded by a mob in Kansas City and they weren't a welcoming committee...down from the police station! And a few other situations in which I had my daughters in the car. What I get has to be rock solid and dependable. Again, I can't thank you enough for this heads up.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    For Wehermacht_45: Thanks for discussing your experiences. Since my life will be on the line, this is why I posted. Again, I haven't made up my mind, you raise some very valid points, and that is why this can be tough sometimes.