In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Stainless vs. Blued steel

Cpt. HaddockCpt. Haddock Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
edited May 2006 in Ask the Experts
It's actually a pretty simple question given my conditions. When I buy my revolver I want to "cultivate" the used look. To get it to look something like USFA's gunslinger revolver. Now I've heard stainless is more durable but can you achieve that worn gray metal patina with stainless steel or is blueing the way to go?

Comments

• Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Color case hardened frame with blued steel barrel is the way I'd probably go.
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Huh? Stainless will continue to look like stainless. Blue will rust. If you want it gunmetal gray, take some Naval Jelly to your new blue gun and sit back and watch.
  • Options
    Cpt. HaddockCpt. Haddock Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by p3skykingHuh? Stainless will continue to look like stainless. Blue will rust. If you want it gunmetal gray, take some Naval Jelly to your new blue gun and sit back and watch.

Yes thats what I thought. Naval Jelly? To a blued gun then you mean?
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Yes. Naval Jelly removes bluing and will leave the entire gun the color you desire. Be advised, without blue on it you will have to keep it oiled or protected some way after you get the desired patina.