In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Unknown Revolvers

adamj812adamj812 Member Posts: 156 ✭✭✭
edited May 2006 in Ask the Experts
Found 5 more revolvers, can't find any info or value on them. Any help would once again be greatly appreciated!

First one says Baby Hammerless Model 1922USA
unknown1-1.jpg
unknown1-2.jpg
unknown1-3.jpg

Patent dates of 1869, 1877, and 1871
unknown2-1.jpg
unknown2-2.jpg

Smith's Patent April 15, 187?
unknown3-1.jpg
unknown3-2.jpg
unknown3-3.jpg

J.N. Scotts Safety Hammerless. Pat Jan 24 1888 Oct 28 1889
unknown4-1.jpg
unknown4-2.jpg

Old Colt Black Powder, looks to have been converted. Information I've found was that these were converted during the civil war. The previous owner purchased this in a shop 70 years ago, so any modifications were done prior to that.
unknown5-1.jpg
unknown5-2.jpg

-Adam

Comments

• 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your first revolver is a Baby Hammerless- they were made under 3 different company names at different times. Yours is (by the grips) a Sedgeley- also by Columbia and Kolb. Cal 22 short, double action only. Blued variety is scarce, as is the top break version, or the 32 version. Depending on condition, these typically go for $50 to $400. I have a few of them- about as accurate as throwing a rock- but made to be used at the 2 ft range.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The S & W is the Model "1 1/2" made between 1878 & 1892. The "bird's-head" grips are the indicator of this model. 32 S & W Cal. $150 - $250.

The Smith Revolver was probably made by the little known Otis Smith. Although he was a very prolific manufacturer of various types of pocket revolvers during the late 19th Century, not much is heard of him and his firearms nowadays. The Ivory grips are probably worth more then the revolver, because of it's condition. $100 -$200?

"J. N. Scott" is a Trade Name attributed to Hopkins & Allen. It appears to be another variation of the ubiquitous Suicide Specials. Appears to be in Very Good condition, hammerless varation, might be interesting to a collector, $150 - $250?
  • b.goforthb.goforth Member Posts: 982
    edited November -1
    adam,
    the only thing i can add is on the J.N. Scott marked revolver. this is an exact duplicate of a revolver manufactured by otis a. smith called the 'spencer safety hammerless' (flayderman's 8th edition page 415). these were manufactured in the very late 1890s. as rufe-snow has said o.a. smith was a large manufacturer of brand name revolvers as well as thoses marketed under his own name. in this case i believe this j.n. scott marked revolver was manufactured by o.a.smith.
    bill