In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Safe P-38's

FastshotFastshot Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
edited May 2006 in Ask the Experts
What is the year cut-off for a safe P-38? I was told anything after '42 was no good? Does it depend on the manufacturer? I realize '44 and later were rough. What about '43?

Thanks,

FS

Comments

• Options
    Old FoolOld Fool Member Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For a "shooter" I would go with a post-war P-38. But not for self defense (there are much better guns for that). Pre war and wartime guns are collector's items and (IMHO) should be relegated to "wall hanger" status. I love to shoot, and have several handguns that I shoot on a regular basis, but I also have some that I do not shoot (pre 1930 S&Ws, Remington M51, etc).

Just my 2 cents worth.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am unaware of any safety issue with P-38's.

Some of the post-war P1's experienced structural failure of the slides, & later P1's have a steel insert in the slide to prevent this; perhaps this is what you heard. But, this never caused a problem with safety.

Neal
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    There is no inherent problem with any P.38. Shoot till you exhaust your ammo.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I have also never heard of any safety problems with the P-38, or for that matter any German handguns of the era. Only ones I've heard of some problems with were very late war 98ks and even than, I have my doubts.

Regarding wall hanger or not status, unless it is in mint or near mint shape I'd shoot it whenever and as much as I cared to, it's not a rare piece, but that's just me. I have a 1916 Luger that while all matching, is only in about 70% shape; I shoot it regularly and after a few thousand rounds, it doesn't look any different than when I got it.

Nice guns, gotta get me one of them one day.[:)]