In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

contender carbine for 12 year old daughter

earlwellmanearlwellman Member Posts: 645 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2006 in Ask the Experts
I posted the below in "reloading", but wanted to get opinions on a possible alternative for the 45-70. I already reload for 30-30, so a bbl in that is an option. I just want the highest velosity for the least recoil for my kid. Any help would be appreciated.

Earl [:D]

"Hello all,
I have a 16" contender carbine bbl with muzzle tamer that puts it at around 17 1/2". The length of pull and the weight make me think it would be great for my daughter to use when she turns 12 for PA whitetail. I don't find the recoil bad, but I also sight-in my 300 winmag at the same time. I love the idea of a single shot for my kid, but can I load for the recoil similar to my 336 Marlin?

Thanx,
Earl"

Comments

• Options
    gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    my son shot his first deer when he was 12 using a T/C with a 21" 7x30 waters barrel, the recoil didn't seem to bother him much but he is a pretty good size kid , the 7 x 30 Waters will give you about 200 fps more than the 30-30
  • Options
    farfromnormalfarfromnormal Member Posts: 247 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi Earl, I think the Contender is a fine first gun, although extra training should be done because of the hammer/safety issue. I would stay away from the .45-70 for a beginner, even with light loads. The .30-30 could be loaded with 150 grain bullets or even 125's to a level where recoil shouldn't be a real problem. As gskyhawk mentioned, the 7-30 Waters is an excellent deer cartridge and if reloaded, is very manageable and very accurate. Buying another barrel will be much cheaper than a new rifle and will give you more options later.
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    No need for a kid to shoot a 45/70 at all, I think it would be a good way to discourage her.
    But the 30/30 is a ideal caliber for a kid to shoot, and it will take a deer with no problems if it's put in the right spot.
    Keep her in ear plugs and let her practice as often as she likes, and she will make you proud.
    I have always reccomended the 30/30 to TC Contender shooters looking for a good available factory round.
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,645 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just an option....I live in a shotgun only state so I started both my sons out with 20 ga. Remington 870 youth models. With Sabot slugs, the recoil is not too bad. As they got older, we changed stocks to adult size and bought extra barrels for bird hunting and clays.