In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mle 1866 french 'needle gun'

MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,977 ******
edited May 2006 in Ask the Experts
what can you tell me about a french needle gun, Mle 1866 (mgf 1973), and value. cond. is very good (antque) no rust, metal is mostly brown (I think they were finished 'bright'). nice unsanded stock, but I didn't check the bore.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    it's known as the Chassepot. There are a number of different varations known as the Model 1866. Many were later converted for the Gras metallic cartridge, starting in the mid 1870's. It would be best to post pictures, specifically of the bolt and breech area. If not give us the physical dimensions and all markings on it. If you have a original unconverted Chassepot, it would be worth more money to a collector.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,977 ******
    edited November -1
    I don't have the rifle a friend does, its unconverted, in good mech. cond., realy nice figured stock and looks all original. he is looking for some info. on it and possible value.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MIKE WISKEY
    I don't have the rifle a friend does, its unconverted, in good mech. cond., realy nice figured stock and looks all original. he is looking for some info. on it and possible value.

The various Model 1866 Rifles & Carbines, all had long barrels of at least 28" length. Some weren't even made in France, but in commercial factories in other countries. Depending on what Model and where it was made, if it is in original unconverted condition, my WAG is that it would be worth in the thousands.