In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

new model 70 question

jagjag Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
edited May 2006 in Ask the Experts
okay, since we had so much fun with last question, i've got a new one. i just picked up a model 70 in 22 hornet. everything about the gun is great, except the bolt. gun shows very little sign of being shot, but the bolt is "sticky". i can and will lube it, but should this be necessary? it looks pretty worn already, maybe even polished. could this be normal? not original bolt? the throat and bore are crisp, bolt face-very little wear, but the sides of the bolt show lots of wear. kinda odd. any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    only winchestersonly winchesters Member Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello Jag: Well you don't say if it's pre or post 64. But since bolts are fitted to a particular gun, pull the bolt out of the gun, look at the bottom rear of the bolt, the last 3 digits of the receiver serial number might be scribed into the bolt. Mine are that way.

Yes there could be a burr, the bolt may not be original to the gun, many possibilities. Start with the bolt removal, examine it and then the receiver, (the bolt path way and look for a burr).

You say it "looks pretty worn" sounds as if the previous owner thought it was sticky too and did a lot of cycling of the bolt too. The bolt could have been dropped onto a hard surface, there may be a burr.

Regards Dave
  • Options
    jagjag Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks dave. there were no serial numbers, i have seen that before, but not always. not sure why.should this be a big concern? never encountered this, not exactly sure how to deal with it. i don't think its a burr, if it was i think it would be "grooved" it doesn't seem to be. could it just be because its dry? would i do any harm value wise to polish with rouge and a wheel? thanks again!
    ps-did you see my last post on the previous question? if not check it out. lmk what you think....

quote:Originally posted by only winchesters
    Hello Jag: Well you don't say if it's pre or post 64. But since bolts are fitted to a particular gun, pull the bolt out of the gun, look at the bottom rear of the bolt, the last 3 digits of the receiver serial number might be scribed into the bolt. Mine are that way.

Yes there could be a burr, the bolt may not be original to the gun, many possibilities. Start with the bolt removal, examine it and then the receiver, (the bolt path way and look for a burr).

You say it "looks pretty worn" sounds as if the previous owner thought it was sticky too and did a lot of cycling of the bolt too. The bolt could have been dropped onto a hard surface, there may be a burr.

Regards Dave
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    jag,

That's a great cartridge in an equally terrific rifle!

"Sticky" can mean a lot of things to a lot of different people. I would check the firing pin spring first to see if it is caked with old grease or lubricant. Clean and lube lightly if you want, I don't. While you have the bolt apart, look at the cam positioned on the end of the bolt body that the cocking piece fits into and look at the cocking piece also. If it looks O.K., apply a little dab of Tetra grease or any of the new super lubricants to the cam surfaces.

Check the cams on the side of each bolt lug and look at them under some mild magnification. Then take a peek inside the receiver to look at the lug recess and the cams in there. Your friendly local gunsmith with a borescope will be a huge help with this one. Make sure that there is no debris in there. If they check out O.K., lube the cams and lugs seats lightly.

It may be that if this is an older rifle, you need a new firing pin spring.

Unless you are qualified, do not take a wheel and rouge to a receiver and bolt.

Best.
  • Options
    only winchestersonly winchesters Member Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello Jag: Yes I saw your last post. During the manufacturing process the barrel would have gone through a "rough polishing" before the front site was put on. Now on pre-64s I believe the front site was soldered on, the post-64s are brazed, but don't hold me to that! LOL
    Obviously after that site installation there will be some "cleanup" of the excess solder or braze and final polish of the barrel before blue. So you may see some "polishing" marks around the joint that run in the direction (length) of the site, but certainly not circumferentially around the barrel. Now the "metal smiths" that polished by hand, this is quite an art, sometimes "new" employees trying to master it don't meet the standards. It's hard to guess what might have happened, without seeing it or a good close up picture.

Yes you would think a "burr" if it's sharp would leave a scratched line(s) but if it's not sharp, such as a little ridge on the bolt from being dropped it may not leave any marks at all, just not a smooth cycle.

I would remove the bolt, and run my finger nail down the the rails of the bolt, you'll be surprized what you might feel. Examine the front and rear of the railes. Use a bright light and look into the receiver, if you use you finger, sharp burrs can cut!!

Bolts are fitted to the receiver and barrel, Ie head space. I do find it strance that the bolt has no identifying marks on it, to ensure it was the bolt fitted to that receiver. I would not use a polishing wheel with rouge. Unless you are an expert you can get an uneven surface. In your last post, you mentioned a friend of yours has some Md 70s, if he happens to have the same vintage and caliber, (same bolt style) you might try the bolt out of his gun to see how it cycles. I wouldn't use it to shoot, just cycle.

Regards Dave