In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Help with Percussion handgun proof marks

bsweeneybsweeney Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
edited May 2006 in Ask the Experts
This is a nice single shot percussion handgun and I am interested in information about it.
When I removed the barrel there are some interesting marks. If you don't mind I will describe them to you and maybe some of you will know meaning in them.
First there is a crown with what appears to be a pair of crossed feathers beneath it, than three little crosses or maybe stars (but they really look like 3 little crosses) tucked in around the feathers. Next to this mark is a circle with a 36 inside it. On another area of the barrel is a small numeral 2 and next to the numeral 2 are 4 punch marks that form a square, finally there is a letter C and just below it is another punch mark. Finally I notice on two other pieces of the gun are the same numeral 2 marks.

I hope someone will be able to give me some insight on this great gun.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The proof marks seem to be English. Your description appears similar to the 3rd from the right, top row.

buck3.gif

My WAG is that the "36" is the gauge number, i.e. size of projectile. This is a archaic English method used to determine bore diameter. It was the number of lead balls of a specific size, to fit the barrel that weighed one pound.
  • Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    It sounds like You're discribing a FRENCH Proof Mark: Possibly ST. ETIENNE...?
    Could You Post a Photo of this Pistol and its Markings for us to look at?....
  • Options
    bsweeneybsweeney Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by captkirk3@dslextreme.com
    Yes, similar but the crossed feathers are a lot more like feathers used as writing instruments. And where the BPC letters are correct only they are crosses much like this character + I cannot seem to post photos myself but I will gladly email anyone a jpg file of gun to post if I have any takers.
    Thanks'
    Bill
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bsweeney
    quote:Originally posted by captkirk3@dslextreme.com
    Yes, similar but the crossed feathers are a lot more like feathers used as writing instruments. And where the BPC letters are correct only they are crosses much like this character + I cannot seem to post photos myself but I will gladly email anyone a jpg file of gun to post if I have any takers.
    Thanks'
    Bill

Here are instructions for posting pictures, they have helped folks post pictures in the past.

First thing you need is a site to host your picture. What I mean by that is that you will need to upload your pictures to a web site that will host(display) them for you. You should not use your hard drive to host pictures for safety sake. Use www.photobucket.com to host your pictures.

After you have uploaded your pictures to the site that will host them for you(per their directions), the next thing you will want to do is go to the picture hosting site and view the picture. While you are viewing the picture, right click on it and you'll see another window that should pop up, now click on "properties" and copy the picture URL. If you know how to "copy & paste" this will be a piece of cake.

Now that you have the picture URL and your ready to post your picture. Do the following, use the following code except take out the "*" asterisk. The "*" asterisk is used here only so you can see the code. In other words if I posted the code without the "*" asterisk you will see a picture instead of the code. Anyways use this code to post your picture..
    [*img]the picture URL goes here[*/img]