In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Auto Shotgun Feed Problems ??? suggestions?

abcguns2abcguns2 Member Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2005 in Ask the Experts
O.K. , I'm strtching my head on this one ? having a real brain-fart !
Auto shotgun i.e. browning a5,remington 11 , ect. recoil operated .
Function & feed problems ? spuratic & erratic function , feed & extraction problems , like it has a mind of its own??? Help me out !
Suggestions ???
Thanks !!!
d.a.stearns
Gunsmith/LEO

My dog is the best person I know...
If only more people could be as loyal and honest as my dog!!!

I love guns & Shooting!

Comments

• Options
    ContacFrontContacFront Member Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most semi-auto shotgun feeding problems I've seen has been either shooter related or ammo related.

Most of the time the shooter is not holding onto that shotgun or not leaning into enough so the gun is short stroking. Extracting a shell but not feeding one in. Kind of like limp wristing a handgun.

Ammo could be a major factor also. Some guns are designed to shoot more powerful shells and when they get fed birdshot they will not function correctly.

For example my Mossberg Jungle 9200 Jungle Gun was designed to shoot 00 Buck. When I feed it low powered birdshot it does not function well at all. Doesn't skip a beat with 00Buck though.

First step would try different ammo. If it is short cycling try a hotter load, if that doesnt help, let a friend shoot it to see if it does the same thing.
  • Options
    peabopeabo Member Posts: 3,098
    edited November -1
    As you know, the A-5 and Remington 11 are recoil operated and therefore the friction ring and spacers can be adjusted to fire either low brass or high brass by changing the position and orientation of the bevel on the rings. Could it be that it is configured to fire high brass and therefore is not functioning properly as you shoot low brass shells? Most A-5's have the instructions with a diagram inside the forearm.

MVC-279S.jpg
    Believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see !!
    NRA Life Member
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Could be a broken recoil spring.

I WOULD RATHER BE DUCK HUNTING.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Besides correct orientation of friction brake and bevel washer, the mag tube needs to be cleaned, oiled and wiped dry.
  • Options
    only winchestersonly winchesters Member Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello abcguns2: All though I'm not an expert on the A5/Rem 11, I have had a few shotguns with "feeding" problems. I would start by completely removing the magazine tube spring, follower and plug (if it has one) and give it a good cleaning, inspect the follower for burrs and rough edges, remove and polish a bit as required. Oil and reassemble.

Had a Md 12 where some one used a small tree branch for a plug and it would "cock" the follower when 2 shells were in the mag tube thus causing the feeding problem.

Sometimes the inside of the mag tube is over looked and they can get real dirty over time.

Regards Dave
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,976 ******
    edited November -1
    you can also vary the lubrication on the mag. tube (i.e.more oil on the tube for very light loads), this is per an old browning service manuel.
  • Options
    CountryGunsmithCountryGunsmith Member Posts: 617 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    v35 has given you the golden clue to making long-recoil guns work. They have to be set up properly, and the trick is the magazine tube has to be clean and very lightly lubricated.

Mike Wiskey is correct in that function with light loads can be improved by oiling the outside of the mag tube, but we do not recommend it as a general practice. Invariably, the customer always takes that as a green light to oil up the tube and then goes out and shoots some heavy 4's or something and begins beating his gun to hell.

If you need specific help on a particular model/problem, feel free to email repair@countrygunsmith.net and we'll try to help.
  • Options
    abcguns2abcguns2 Member Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    CountryGunSmith : we have been trying to call you for a week ? Please contact us ....
    Thanks !!!
    d.a.stearns
    Gunsmith / LEO
    Niota , Tn
    Ph.423-746-2724
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    friction ring set up....and dirty.
    make sure its not a mismatched bbl to gun. i/e: 3" mag bbl on a 2 3/4" gun etc...
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    All I've ever owned in semi shotguns
    is A5's and 1100's and with only
    a little attention and wd-40 over the past
    40 yrs I've never had a jam or any issue.
    Of course once I slipped and fell on an 1100
    stock and cracked it good, took it home,
    glued it and used it for another ten yrs
    before I gave it to my brother.His son
    uses it now and my brother and I only shoot
    A5's. His are Belgium made mine are Japanese.