In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Old Colt Black Powder Conversion?

adamj812adamj812 Member Posts: 156 ✭✭✭
edited May 2006 in Ask the Experts
I posted this in my last message, thought maybe I'd seperate this one out, it's quite an interesting pistol. Is this an 1861 Colt converted to fire cartridges?

Old Colt Black Powder, looks to have been converted. Information I've found was that these were converted during the civil war. The previous owner purchased this in a shop 70 years ago, so any modifications were done prior to that.

unknown5-1.jpg
unknown5-2.jpg

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Colt Percussion Revolvers were converted to cartridge, years after the Civil War. It had something to do with Smith & Wesson's patents on bored through cylinders.

The one you have pictured, appears to be very crude in workmanship. Does not appear similar to Colt factory conversions I have seen in the past. It appears that the person who attempted the conversion didn't use a compatible welding rod to make the welded areas "Blend In" with the original barrel and frame. My 2?, is that something like this would only have value as a paper weight, or conversation piece.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello I agree with Rufe-Snow. in part but I don't think it was welded but instead soder/lead . This could have damaged /changed the heat treatment of the metal. but IMHO it could not have been done during the civil war but later Your pistol appears to be either 36 cal or 44 caliber and would take either 38's that have bullets of .357 or 45's with bullet size of .452 the first of these if my infomation is right was British in 1868. I would say a nice conversation piece but not a shooter.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,370 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rebated cylinder and long grip says it is/was an 1860 Army.
    What is known as a "blacksmith conversion" probably to .44 Colt or maybe .44 Henry. Gaps filled with solder or pewter. Probably worth a bit more than Rufe says, EVERYTHING is collectable these days.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It looks like an early Thuer conversion to .44 Colt. This was a heel style cartridge designed to fit in the cylinder without reaming the already thin walls and be appropriate for the 45 caliber bore.
    These early cartridge conversions did not have the later ejector housing but retained the rammer and catch, both missing on your gun.
    It looks like someone slicked up the gun by leading in the machined grooves for these items. That aint kosher.
    There also appears to be additional leading between conversion plate and recoil plate.
    Even though the leading may be as old as the conversion, the revolver would be more authentic with the barrel leading removed and an old rammer and rammer catch reinstalled.
  • Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    Hawk Carse: is correct on His Call......
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unlikely it's a Henry because it has the 1860 Army barrel and cylinder.
    The .44 flat Henry is too small for both cylinder bore and barrel. The Colt .44 is in actuality a heel style,.45 caliber cartridge which fits both barrel and cylinder bore of the 1860 Army. The 1872 open top
    was the first Colt produced using the 44 Henry, followed by the SAA in 1875.
    While 1860 .44 Army revolvers carried that nomenclature they are actually .45 caliber.