In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Recoil Spring Strength Specifications

gotstolefromgotstolefrom Member Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2006 in Ask the Experts
I have changed the recoil spring on two of my 45's and am getting better operation (Wolf springs). One that was getting rack-clacked to death due to too light a spring, and one that my wife uses with lighter ammo that was short stroking. If I recall correctly I am using a " 14 pound and a 12 pound spring ". (looking back I could have just swapped them)

I went to try and identify a couple of springs for some milsurp TT-33's. I measured the spring strength thinking about Hooke's Law, Force = spring constant * compression distance (F=kX in english units). Well the force was 3.5 pounds when compressed one inch.

While the slide on the TT-33 might be a little easier to rack than one of the 45's, it isn't 1/3 as much. So, what is the deal on the 14 pounds ? Is it after you assemble the gun, compressing the spring a little less than 2 inches ? Or What ?

Any and All replies appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello I think you will find that if you cock the hammer then it should take X number of pounds to move the slide back to where the slide will just kiss the frame at the end of the cycle . You will have the spring compressed some with it just sitting there with the slide forward and ready to fire and then you will further compress more the one inch of movement.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wire size, number of active coils, inside or outside diameter and free length should define the spring. If you need this info, I have it.
    Unfortunately, Wolff will only supply a standard spring for the Tokarev unless you want to buy 500 pieces. If you can match one up with a heavier spring constant please let me know. Wolff couldn't or wouldn't do it for me.
    I've read they're undersprung; possibly to avoid limpwristing.