In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Marlin 336 Question

Texas HunterTexas Hunter Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
edited May 2006 in Ask the Experts
Guys i have been seriously thinking of buying myself an older pre safety bolt Marlin 336.
Guess every gun safe is empty without at least one traditional American made lever action.[;)]
Have scoured the site and one thing has caught my attention about many of these fine rifles is the amount of rust that is either mentioned by the sellers or is evident in the pictures.
True,most of it is light rust to freckling but i have never had a rifle rust and i have some that are over 40 years old.
Is this a situation of just improper care or does Marlin just not have the art of blueing down compared to other manufacturers??
And yes,I know that any rifle will rust if improperly cared for.

mike

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Hello all, what year did marlin shut its doors and started being made at the freedom group plant. Got a chance to buy a 336 made in 2009 and was wondering if its one of the good ones. Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My Dad just gve my youngest son a rifle he bought at a Sears store in 1959. Here's the question. It is a Marlin 336, but I've never seen another like it. It has darker wood that the typical 336, and has a straight grip and lever, reminicent of the Winchester 94. The magazine tube extends to the end of the barrel. It's barrel marked "Marlin 336 RC", but again, it just dosen't look like any other 336 I've ever seen. I know that department sores used to sell rifles built for them under diferent trade names like Ted Williams and J.C. Higgins, but this is not marked that way. Just interested in the history on this, and if anyone else has seen one.
  • Options
    gotstolefromgotstolefrom Member Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It must be accedental neglect.
    I live in coastal Louisiana and have only gotten one patch of rust from a gun rack felt pad, and some overall freckling from someone leaving the gun in the case after returning from a duck hunt. That is in 40 years. Other than that, my safe is full of smooth, bright metal guns. Even the ones that have lost blue from use, or are plumb from age haven't rusted.
    Now I HAVE BEEN TOLD that I clean my guns too much. Now I will just do a wipe down if I am going back out that week, where 2 years ago everything got a full cleaning after every shooting...even if you did plan to go back in 2 days.

I don't think I'll be selling my pre-safety 336's though.
  • Options
    brerhunterbrerhunter Member Posts: 48 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am a big fan of Marlin and own a few of them. I have never had one rust on me. Only one of them was bought new and the other two are older. I got them from my grandfather. I keep them clean and oiled. I think if you keep your eye out you will find one that has been taken care of.
  • Options
    nyforesternyforester Member Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a buddy that takes poor care of his firearms. The blued guns all have rust spots on them. The only ones that I own with rust are one that had it before I took ownership. It is from a lack of oil !!!!!!!!!!!!!! and cleaning !!!!!!!!
    I have a 1969 Marlin 336 my Dad gave me. It has been all over the Adirondack and Catskill Mountains. It has seen the worst of conditions. THERE IS NO RUST.
    Buy one for yourself. You will fall in LOVE.
    Abort Cuomo
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    None of my Marlins have rust on them, and if any others do it's a neglect thing.
  • Options
    DEG305DEG305 Member Posts: 469 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Same as mrbruce[:D]
  • Options
    TWalkerTWalker Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought a Marlin 336 RC today with a straight stock in .35 Remington caliber. It is 49 years old but only looks like a year old gun. Bluing and wood are 99%. Goes to show that Marlins are great guns if you take care of them. Of course this one has probably been fired less than a dozen times. I have 4 other Marlins. All show varying degrees of wear, but none have rust. Keeping guns in a gun case is one of the main causes of rust in my opinion. That, and not wiping them with a lightly oiled rag on a regular basis.
  • Options
    redman.com1redman.com1 Member Posts: 718 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    twalker is correct, hard to beat a marlin! that's right winchester goons.
  • Options
    turtles11756turtles11756 Member Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    still have a marlin 336 that was under the christmas tree 1970' it was out in snow storms and rain not a spot of rust but it's no model 94'
  • Options
    gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    but it's no model 94'

thank god if it was it would rattle to much and scare all the game away :)
  • Options
    abcguns2abcguns2 Member Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I own a Marlin 336 RC in 30-30 ? with a low 4 digit sn# , it has been well used but is in great cond. , I have killed several items (deer , hog , ect.) with it ...it is one of my favorites , I like it better than my Win 94 (& I worked 4 Winchester?)....anyhow They are Great!
    Good Luck !!!
    d.a.stearns
    Gunsmith / LEO
    Niota , Tn
  • Options
    turtles11756turtles11756 Member Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    get a model 94 pre serial 2,700,000 and take a closer look