In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

New Mini 14's

rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
edited May 2006 in Ask the Experts
I was just down to the hardware store and saw a new stainless Mini-14 with the synthetic stock and ghost ring rear sights. Are they any more accurate than the older models? I had one in the late 70's that wouldn't do better than 8" at 100 yds.
Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've never heard anyone say they have improved on the accuracy of the factory Mini-14s. I think they are just as dependable and inaccurate as they ever were......[V]
  • Options
    SperrySperry Member Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There must be a few happy Mini-14 owners or they would not still be selling the rifle.
    You can't fool all the people all of the time [except in politics].
    A close friend has a 100% functioning, decently accurate Government model that is loads of fun to shoot. quote:I didn't know they made a Government model of the Mini 14Black synthetic, matte stainless, threaded barrel, flash hider. It's not on line, but there must be an LE catalog somewhere showing it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I didn't know they made a Government model of the Mini 14? Only the 22 pistol.
  • Options
    redman.com1redman.com1 Member Posts: 718 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    they are fun guns, but temblor is correct! and im interested, where do you live to find a mini- 14 in a hardware store? i think i would like to live a such a small town.
  • Options
    brerhunterbrerhunter Member Posts: 48 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would also like to move to this magical place!!! Zip code PLEASE!!!!
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    I'd think one would have to leave the coastal areas and move into the heartland to find guns in convenience stores, gas stations, hardware stores and feed stores.
    In Northern new Mexico, almost any circle K has ammo; almost any feed/tack store sells guns.
  • Options
    royc38royc38 Member Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a mini 14 that I have owned for about 12 years. It is a good gun, Stainless and black stocked. the mags are stainless looking(nickel) and it has a M14 lookalike flash suppressor. Looks wise awesome gun. Reliable wise also great. Accuracy is good also but not in a class with the ARs. I don't know why but It is not one of my favorites of all time. They are ok to recomend but there is better out there. It all boils down to what you want. With the Ars you have what everybody else has but the accessories and mods are practically infinite. The mini can be accurized but at a greater cost.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Unfortunately, I live in KA, but a rural community that is being rapidly encroached upon. Lots of bird hunting: ducks, pheasants, geese, etc., but most private land is being leased to clubs with heavy membership fees. Fortunately, I used to do ag lending and still have some connections so I get out once and awhile.

I have other rifles for accuracy, I was just wondering if the new Mini-14 was more accurate then they used to be. They seemed to be machined to a little tighter tolerances and the stainless/synthetic combination along with my supply of .223 ammunition seemed ideal. I don't currently have a .223 and the supplies of 7.62X39 for my SKS seems to be drying up.
  • Options
    MossbergboogieMossbergboogie Member Posts: 12,211
    edited November -1
    I own a mini 14 ranch the only difference is the scope mount base. But it seems to do just fine for accuracy.......... Um my brother in laws father has one and he says it shoots fine 100-150 yards. Bought mine at ace hardware which used to be coast to coast.
  • Options
    Emmett DunhamEmmett Dunham Member Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A friend just bought the rifle that you are thinking about buying and the sights are different, I have a older Mini 14 and the sights are not for shooting 100 yards, the new rifle has a better sight system. He put a scope on the rifle and he was tearing holes in the black on the target in nice groups.

Emmett
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,533 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Had an older one, wouldn't think of buying a new. Fact is you can assemble and AR (complete upper / complete lower) for about $500 to $600. Couldn't see paying more for a Mini14.