In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Win Model 43

TobaccoRoadTobaccoRoad Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited May 2006 in Ask the Experts
Chambered in .22 Hornet, early 50's vintage. Question 1: .223 or .224 bullet? Question 2: Number of twists?

Comments

• Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is a very good question, and I do not have the answer to the first part. I have the twist rate information in several different sources and I will look them up to be sure, but I seem to remember that 1:16 is what Winchester used. I will see what I can come up with on your first question.
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Savages (23 and 342) digest eiter fine with about equal results and both slugged at ".223. The twist on both is 1 in "14. Not sure when the industry standard changed fr: 223 to 224 but I'm sure several manufacturers changed at various times.
    bert H should be along to help out...he knows his winnies.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    For Bert, S/N is 268xxA if that will help narrow down info.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by TobaccoRoad
    For Bert, S/N is 268xxA if that will help narrow down info.

That will help to closely estimate the year your rifle was manufactured. It will take me some time to dig through several sources to come up with when Winchester switched from the early .223 bore to the .224 bore. The later .224 bore rifles may be 1:14 twist verus the early .223 bore which were 1:16 (I believe... but not 100% sure).
  • Options
    edited November -1
    OK, here is the information that I was able to gleen from the various source I have.

Hornady, Speer, and Sierra all list the 22 Hornet at a 1:16 twist rate (the test rifles were all Savages... Models 23-C, 219 and 340C).

The 22 Hornet rifles manufactured prior to WW II were .223 bore, and thereafter were .224 bore. Those few rifles factory chambered for the 22 K-Hornet (my preferred cartridge) were 1:14 twist, and .224 bore.

All Winchester Model 43 .22 Hornet rifles were made with a .224 bore, and a 1:16 twist rate.

The below picture is a standard Hornet and the superior K-hornet cartridge (after fire forming in my rifle).

22K-Hornet003.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Bert, now maybe I can get just the right load for some tight groups.

"A man's got to know his limitations." C. Eastwood, Dirty Harry - 1973
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Do not use bullets heavier than 45 grains. Your Model 43 will probably shoot better with the Hornady 35 grain bullets, and my preferred powder is 2400 (the I have heard very good things about Hogdon's "Lil-Gun"). If you use 2400 with a 35 grain bullet, start with 11 grains and work up .1 grain at a time.
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, as always, Bert is right about the twist rate...mine are BOTH 1:16...brainfade. Both slug 223 though; I guess mine are just tight. I recently started using Lil Gun and WOW! I used 4227 previously with great results, but Lil Gun is now my clear favorite as it shrunk already tight groups. My favorite bullet is the Sierra Varminter 40 gr F.B. H.P. I've managed to get 14 grains of Lil Gun in that case and use Small Mag Pistol primers, But you should start around 11.5 or so. There are lots of pet loads for the Hornet, and MANY are very good. Have fun...sure wish I had a 43, you lucky Dog!
  • Options
    use enough gunuse enough gun Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1-16, .224. I've got a Model 43 in .22 hornet serial # 10,xxx. Nice little rifle, never have got it to shoot under 1-1/2" though. It has a taste for IMR 4227 and 680 using 35 and 40 grain bullets. Dave