In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Convert .38 super to 9mm?

vallopez2000vallopez2000 Member Posts: 91 ✭✭
edited May 2006 in Ask the Experts
Can a Colt 1911 in .38 super be easily converted to 9mm? If it is possible, how would I do it? Could I do it myself or would I need a gunsmith?

Comments

• Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    New top end, extractor/ejector I think was also mentioned in a reply to a very similar post recently...
  • Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    Change barrels. tune extractor.

38 super and 9x19 use the same slide, extractor and ejector.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Change barrel and recoil spring get recoil spring pack from BROWNELL's
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    G&A had an article quite a few years ago for 1911 conversions and the 38 Super was the easiest to convert to the most different calibers. If you can find it, it's worth reading.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get the barrel and try it for function before going the Wolff spring kit and playing with the extractor.
  • Options
    shootlowshootlow Member Posts: 5,425
    edited November -1
    there is a person putting a sleave in some .38 super race guns STI and SV and a few Brileys
    he is from New Mexico
    he done a few of my friends guns and they have had no prolems
    i think it was less than 75.00
  • Options
    magmag Member Posts: 464 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I made up one of the kits per the G&A article. In the article it was said that you could just shoot 9mm ammo in the 38 Super bbl. They didn't really recommend it but they did do it.

In their conversion you used a 38 Super Govt Model as the base weapon. You used a 45 Commander upper assy as it has the ejector in the same location as the 38 Super govt model. The 45/357 { I don't remember the cartridge name, 45 case necked down to use .357 bullets. I think Clerke was the maker ]. Colt 22 conversion kit. Really you should get the 9mm bbl. 5 cartridges on one frame.

I just did the 45 and 22.

mag
  • Options
    donut77donutdonut77donut Member Posts: 560 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just dropped a 9mm barrel in my 38Super commander, and it worked perfectly without changing anything else.
  • Options
    Bill DeShivsBill DeShivs Member Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can shoot .380s in both the Super and 9mm barrels. They won't cycle the action. You can shoot 9mm Largo out of the Super barrel, too.
    Bill
  • Options
    modocmodoc Member Posts: 474 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have to WONDER why anyone would replace a great cartridge with a wimpy one..It must be for one reason,to use cheap ammo..Other than that it doesn't make sense..But then most things these days don't make sense to this old jarhead..good luck with your change over..modoc