In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Current High Standard

bfensterbfenster Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
edited May 2006 in Ask the Experts
Forgive me if this has been hammered to death. I searched the forum but didn't find any recent comments regarding the quality of the current houston .22 target pistols. I am considering a new Victor 5.5.

I'm looking for info regarding the following:
Current quality and accuracy.
Comments about the 10X and 10X (Shea) models. Are they worth it?
Would it be wiser to look for a used Conn. Victor? Desired ser # range for accuracy?

Thanks, Bruce

Comments

• Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    welcome to the boards!
    no question, hamden guns are the cream of the crop.

current tx hi stds are every bit as accurate as the old conn ones. for the most part, theyve worked out their bugs. fit and finish isnt to parr with old hamden guns, but if accuracy is what you need, they are fine.

10x and shea guns are the BEST you will ever get. period.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello I would go with an older model NUMBER SERIES OR EVEN A ML model be fore a new investment cast frame one Just my $.02...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info. Based on what you folks are saying, it sounds like I can't go too far wrong with new or used High Standard Victors. Maybe I should ask one last question: If you were buying a .22 cal 5.5" barrel bullseye target pistol, what would you be looking to get?

FYI: I currently have a Buckmark 5.5 Field.

Thanks again, Bruce
  • Options
    edited November -1
    victors have a rib that the expended shell must clear. it has been known to cause malfunctions at the worst times by not vacating the chamber fast enough as not to interfere with loading the next round. and too, victors come in at 54 to 48 oz. a bit hefty. i feel a 4.5 is a better choice.
    then again, i feel this is a perfect choice. email me anytime.
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=49596802
    ps...bob shea is the next town over from me. ive been to his house and im here to tell you, youd never know it from the outside that hes the worlds best hi std smith. what a nice modest guy. what a pocket of knowledge he is! need a 10x? pay and wait. its worth every year on the waiting list. mine took 3 years...and i hand delivered it to him!
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hmmm... something more to think about. I'll take one of everything [;)]

Thanks again, Bruce
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello IMHO Go with either a Victor and then get a barrel with a red dot sight mount I like the barrel that BROWNELLS sell that is steel barrel liner with aluminum outside with a red dot "ULTRADOT or GILMORE" mounted on it it will not be too heavy and if you go with an older victor it will not ruin the collector value by messing with the orginial barrel . But my first choice would be a KART like the one now for sale on this site but again with an aluminum barrel shroud so it will balance when you install a red dot . Thrid choice would be a marvel conversion on a 1911 frame. If you go with the marvel or Kart then the centerfire and 45 pistol will all have same feel and trigger if you shoot 2700 NRA Bulls-Eye. "PRAISE THE HARD-BALL GUN"
  • Options
    b.goforthb.goforth Member Posts: 982
    edited November -1
    i just can't help adding my two cents. i personally would not purchase any houston high standard manufactured after 1999 and especially the new two tone models (stainless frames, carbon steel slides and barrels). the barrels are still as accurate as ever if they fit correct but the internals are soft and will not hold a good trigger pull (sear and sear bar). i am cirrently looking for new old stock (pre houston) sear and sear bar. this is for a friends newly purchased houston gun (one of the two tone models mentioned above)that needs replacement of these parts already.

the houston guns to keep and eye out for are the 1500+ with the "AF" prefix to the serial numbers. these were built with quality parts but also will need fitting of the magazines and trigger pulls as we built them while we were learning. i recently pick up one of these at a pawn shop that was fired very little because of jamming, a victor 4 1/2 inch barrel with barrel weight. after i fit a good magazine and refined the trigger pull it is one of my better high standard. of my 6 high standards this is the only one i did not build from the ground up it was built by the shop foreman in 1993 shortly after i went to work for them.
    bill
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Bill, I appreciate your two cents worth. Do you have an opinion as to weather it would be a good idea to order a 10X Victor?

Bruce
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i remember siting with bob shea at his workbench and he use to comment on how he'd reject 99 out of 100 parts sent from houston for use in his guns.[;)]
    he builds them to OLD FACTORY specs.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    jaflowersjaflowers Member Posts: 698 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have one of the Texas 10X Victors currently, along with 5 various other Hamden models ranging from S-101 to 106 Trophy. I have to say it is very accurate and the fit and finish is on par or better than my older ones. Of course it is the 10X so that is to be expected. It took about 1000 rounds to "break it in" for reliability. Now it runs great. I'd say if you have $1200.00 to spend on a 22 and like Hi-Standard it a great gun. Enjoy.[:)]