In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Comparison, Chinese Mak-90 and Wasr-10

CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
edited May 2006 in Ask the Experts
Which is the better made rifle?
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    jhimcojhimco Member Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Chineese Mak-90 is much better built.
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    I have 2 MAK-90s and really like them. For the price I paid about $325 each, one last year, it is hard to beat. I have not found anyother AK's out there in the same price range that look as good to me. The fist one I bought almost 10yrs ago and have seveal thousand rounds through it with no problems.
  • Options
    CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the responses.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,533 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've never been tempted by the Mak90 but own two Romanians (Sar1 & Post Ban Wasr10) and am building two more.

The Mak90 is just too neutered for me. That * stock needs to go and I don't like the fact that there is no cleaning rod and the provision for one has been ground off. Just doesn't look right.

I guess I would take one if someone gave it to me. But I've passed on $300 ones.

www.classicarms.us is constantly advertising a $270 Wasr10 post ban in Shotgun News. I would go for that one just for the fact it's so dang cheap.

I'm thinking I might snag a G2 Wasr10. I like the fact that it comes with a bayonet, tapco g2 trigger, and muzzle brake. Lots of evil features & not a bad deal for $325.
  • Options
    hksrulehksrule Member Posts: 318 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is true that the MAK-90 is a bit altered but if you ever had a MAK-90 and WASR-10 side by side, you would see a world of difference as far as fit and finish are concerned. I would rather have the MAK-90 as the receiver is a bit thicker and it is not made near so cheap.
  • Options
    ern98ern98 Member Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In what particular way do you mean? Fit & finish or accuracy or the way it makes your goldfish giggle? What is your definition of better?
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,533 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not sure about fit, but the Wasr's definately need a new finish. Both of my Romanians looked like they were kicked accross a gravel factory floor. My Sar1 I had Krebs Custom refinish back when they were still doing custom work. My Wasr10 came to me used, cheap, and rusty. On that one I buffed the rust off and repainted it myself.

The standard receiver thickness for stamped receivers 1.0mm. I think both the Wasr10 and Mak90 both have the same thickness of receiver. Not even mentioning the milled Bulgarians, only the Vepr and Yugo's have a heavier RPK style 1.6mm receiver.
  • Options
    Patriots sonPatriots son Member Posts: 915 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have several Macs, and all work GREAT. You can find them NIB for less than 400. I cant speak for the others.
  • Options
    dlrjjdlrjj Member Posts: 5,528 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only problem I've had with the '90 is that I find the firing pin (hammer) spring to be a bit weak for hard primers. I have way too many failures with some brands, that then can be fired with no problems in an SKS. I've tried to find a stronger spring, but no luck so far. Yes, all parts have been completely cleaned of cosmoline.
    Tax evasion is illegal, tax avoidance is an art form.