In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

H&R 45-70 How strong?

mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2006 in Ask the Experts
I tried this question on the reloading forum but I guess those guys don't know much about them. I see that this action is used for all kinds of bottle neck rifle stuff in the 50Kpsi area. I have an older Hornady manual listing the H&R Shikiri 45-70 with the trapdoor Springfields. There are some Marlin 1895 class loads I would like to use if It's safe - Seems to me it should be if 30-06 is ok - so, how strong is the H&R? That Shikiri came in 44 mag too.

Comments

• Options
    CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I spoke to a person at H&R and he said it would handle the +p loads with no problem.
  • Options
    mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well-- does anyone disagree that it should handle any ammo loaded within SAMMI specs?
  • Options
    AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello "mbsams"[:)]

I have an H&R Handi Rifle ---- since Marlin bought them out. The barrel of the .44 mag is like a truck axel. It is been rechambered to a "Wildcat" .44 Mad/Max. Don't bother to go looking in your reference manuals, you will NOT find the .44 Mad/Max. She is designed to deal with a Gulf Coast master hog ---- male or female from my ground blind.

Having had one one in my ground blind that I did not put the shot on correctly ---- secondary using a head that was designed for exphansion and NOT PENETRATION, believe me ---- it can get "INTERESTING" in a hurry. The Uberti replica of the Remington 1858 performed flawlessly, and if you don't know about the "safety-notches" so that you can load all 6 cylinders ---- then I will tell you how to do this.

Even so ---- my Scottish heritage required that I plant my "dirk" slightly above and between her eyes was reqired.

I am sending my action back to the factory to have a .22 Hornet barrel installed and have the action as slick as owl snot and NO over-travel.

They still have the .357 barrels ---- even though they are not listed.
    recambering it to .357 MAX will give you a rifle that will do everything that the .35 Remington will do ---- other than the fact that it is a single shot.

As an OLD man with eye-problems to begin with, I use only three plex scopes or post and cross-hair scope on rifles.

Believe me the .357 rechambered to .35 Max or the .44 rechambered to .44 Mad/Max will take down anything in North America ---- outside of "grize" or polar bears with one well placed shot.

Best Regard[:)]
    AdamsQuailHunter