In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

best compact scope for sks?

ddhotbotddhotbot Member Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2006 in Ask the Experts
guess the title says it all.what is the best compact scope out of all these cheap compact scopes.is there 1 that holds up well?thanks

Comments

• Options
    ern98ern98 Member Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My experience with the lower cost scopes is that if you get a good one you will likely be happy with it, for a while. A bad one is self explanatory. Now in the case of the SKS, you may want to spend more time researching the available scope mounts, as a cheap mount that wobbles around, like those mounted on the action cover, aren't worth much at all. The side mounted rails that will work with the ruski milspec stuff are good. I suspect, but don't know, that some of the scout scope mounts that replace the rear sight might be something to try. Most of my friends tried the cover type and threw them away to go back to just the iron sights. I got a side rail system that works well enough, but when you come right down to it most SKSs aren't really up to real good accuarcy. Still, you won't know about yours until you try. Good luck
  • Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    none
    sights are good enough for the SKS
    why add bulk and weight to something handy
    As it is not designed for a scope, all those cheap mounts only really work in theory
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    I just converted one of my older (B-Square) SKSs into a Scout rifle by installing a Tasco 30mm Red Dot on the wooden portion of the gas tube. I couldn't find a mount that was as sturdy as I wanted, so I Dremeled the wood into a nice, flat surface, cross-cut it several times with a hacksaw, added half of a 10-22 mount with some Gorilla glue, clamped it for a week, and I go shoot it this morning to see how well it holds up.
    I've tried the Red Star mounts/scopes; but I need something with more "eyespace" than those skinny tubes will give.
    I'll let you all know how it works out.