In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

10/22 17 hm2

SSG ZAGSSG ZAG Member Posts: 211 ✭✭✭
edited May 2006 in Ask the Experts
Has anyone heard if Ruger will relent and make a 10/22 in a factory chambering of .17 HM2? I love building a rifle from aftermarket parts as much as the next gun freak, but $1000 for a squirrel gun? Seems extreme.

Comments

• Options
    1022man1022man Member Posts: 512 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Short answer, No. We will more than likekly never see a factory 10/22 n 17hmr2. The action just can not handle the extra stress, remember it's just alloy. The 10/22mag is steel, so it can handle a hotter round.
  • Options
    matwormatwor Member Posts: 20,594
    edited November -1
    A gunsmith around here will sleeve the bbl of a 10/22 for .17. Everything else will work fine, action, mag. He charges right around 100.00 for parts and labor. Original 10/22 bbls can be had everywhere, here, flea-bay, etc.

Good luck.
  • Options
    ern98ern98 Member Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was over at my local range recently and there was a guy shooting a converted 10/22. He was shooting 1/2" groups at 100yds and was really happy. He told me that this was the third conversion he had done, his buddies keep conning him out of his earlier versions. He went on to say that he was taking a stock 10/22 and buying the EA Brown 17hm2 conversion kit off the internet. I searched and found the web address was eabco.com and kits ranged from $159 to $229 and came with complete instructions. He wasn't even doing any special bedding or tuning and was getting these great groups. I haven't ever liked the 10/22 and I'm thinking about getting one......
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,794 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey Matwor, where is that gunsmith located. I've been looking for someone who'll line a 96-22 standard contour barrel to 17M2. I bought a 96-22 to use because of the possible problems with the 10-22 getting beat to pieces.
  • Options
    ern98ern98 Member Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mobuck, Brownells sells redman barrel liners in that bore size and offer a full on set of how to instructions for doing it yourself with a hand held power drill. They are epoxy gluing them in. Chambering for a rimmed case is very simple and straight forward. After you are done, reselling the chamber reamer on one of the many auction sites can get you the bulk of the bulk of your money back out of the purchase price. I'm not sure but I suspect that the 96/22 barrel is attached the same way a 10/22 or 77/22 barrel is which sould make it a doable project.
  • Options
    mr_floppymr_floppy Member Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you decide to convirt a 10/22 (While ruger thinks about it) over to .17HMR mach2 check rimfire central. I'm looking in to doing this as well and it's my understanding that a heavier bolt or bolt handle should be installed when doing the conversion.(along with a barrel swap). Ebco and magnum research offer the heavier handle and Volquartsen manifacturers a bolt specifically for this.

Lately they are also recomending installing a recoil buffer pad as well.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/

Scroll down to (other rimfire guns).17HM2

There's a lot of discussion on this subject there.