In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

CA legal?

dppatroldppatrol Member Posts: 173 ✭✭✭
edited September 2008 in Ask the Experts
looks like we're heading to CA for a while,is a mini 14 legal there?also,i heard they banned lead bullets,does this mean ammo i already own,or that no future ammo i buy can be lead?what about lead shot for upland hunting?sheesh!what about revolvers?should i just hunt with a spear?

Comments

• Options
    11echo11echo Member Posts: 1,007 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nope mini 14's are not legal. And No we haven't banned lead, just the federal band for water fowl.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks,i hear so many horror stories i dont know what to bring and what to leave.i do a lot of wilderness camping and thought a wheel gun or my mossberg persuader would be nice for defense,anyone know the status of these?thanks again
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    11echo is incorrect. Ruger Mini 14's ARE legal in Calif. They are still sold here.

Lead ammo is just fine for plinking, target shooting etc. There was a bill to ban "HUNTING" with lead core bullets in areas where the Calif Condor lives. Not sure if it has passed yet. Appearently condors have been eating remains left by big game hunters and injesting lead bullets. The lead ban would only affect the habitat of the condor.

Lead shot is OK for hunting upland game birds. I still use it for doves, quail etc. Steel shot is mandatory for water fowl hunting, its a federal law. Has been in effect for a long time.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ok,so i CAN have a mini,and CAN hunt with lead(if i want)thanks,going to another forum to ask hunting questions
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dppatrol
    ok,so i CAN have a mini,and CAN hunt with lead(if i want)thanks,going to another forum to ask hunting questions

Go to the horses mouth, click on this link.

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/awguide/awguide.php
  • Options
    Emmett DunhamEmmett Dunham Member Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mini 14s are legal in California! Some shooting ranges will not let you shoot lead, that changes from city to city. They are trying to ban or have banned lead for hunting.

Emmett
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The one restriction in CA is magazine capacity. You cannot buy, sell, or import a removable magazine that holds I believe more than 10 rounds. How they would know you are bringing it in, I don't know if they would. Possibly if it had an 'LEO' only stamp.
  • Options
    ff.hogueff.hogue Member Posts: 213 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    YES mini 14 are LEGAL in california. i have TWO and love to shoot them whenever possible. as long as it is not automatic and is basically stock (just had to remove my folding stock w/pistol grip becasue it gave my rifle too many "points" and classified it as a assault rifle)and the lead bulletts are only in the california condor range. totally bs stuff but with a quick search online you can see if wherever you are traveling to is in that range. if you are not hunting, just taking your rifle to a shooting range you are more than welocme to unload as much lead as you want!
    -Thomas
  • Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As stated above Mini-14's are legal to own in CA so long as they are not folding or retractable stock models. 10 rounds is the maximum magazine size you can buy in CA and nobody will ship you hi caps--but technically if the rifle was bought before any of the magazine bans and you had hi caps nobody will hassle you about it if you are at a rifle range. Magazines for the most part have no date code to say when they were made or bought by you so it would be impossible for LEO to tell.
  • Options
    11echo11echo Member Posts: 1,007 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Now this is intersting, I was told by a Gun Dealer here in Calif. that mini 14's were illegal!!? SO it's just the 30 rd. clips??