In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Bert,

CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
edited September 2008 in Ask the Experts
Bert, I need a mfg date for a model 94 SRC in 32-40, Serial #173769, according to the Blue Book it was made in 1899. It has the cresent butt plate, proper sights, but has a repair in the wrist area of the stock and some bone filling on both sides of the lower tang. The barrel has sharp rifling, albeit a little rough. I'm thinking there is a little more value here, being 32-40 and a saddle ring, although it's not collector grade. Whats your opinion?
Than you.
W.D.

Comments

• Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Blue Book is once again way wrong. Model 1894 serial number 173769 was manufactured in the first half of the year 1903 versus 1899.

If it is a SRC, it should not have a "crescent" butt plate. Instead, it should have a standard Carbine style butt plate. Because it is a 32-40 SRC, it has collector value. That said, without detailed pictures, it is difficult to say what it is actually worth.
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Bert,
    Thank you once again, by cresant, I ment it's the standard carbine butt plate, and it has the 20" round barrel. I know about what it's worth, and lets just say I didn't pay list price. I'll have a few serial numbers for your WCF vs 30-30Win survey in a day or so.
    Thanks again.
    W.D.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CapnMidnight
    Bert,
    Thank you once again, by cresant, I ment it's the standard carbine butt plate, and it has the 20" round barrel. I know about what it's worth, and lets just say I didn't pay list price. I'll have a few serial numbers for your WCF vs 30-30Win survey in a day or so.
    Thanks again.
    W.D.

Once again, you are quite welcome.

I expanded the context of my survey. In addition to the caliber marking (30 W.C.F. vs. 30-30 WIN), I discovered that during approximately the same timeframe, that there were two distinct markings used for the 32 Winchester Special (early production is "32 W.S." later production is "32 WIN SPL"). I am also tracking the butt plate type (e.g. carbine, serrated, or checkered), the type of front barrel band (milled figure-8 or flat and), and if the receiver is factory drilled & tapped for a receiver mounted peep sight. I also included the late production Model 55s (those serial numbered in the Model 94 sequence), and the Model 64s. Thus far, I have surveyed (116) guns, and am fairly certain that the change from "30 W.C.F." to "30-30 WIN" took place in the year 1950.